SC kit for mustang help needed, please

SpeedKills

Hey guys I need your input, please!

I am working on a kit to put SC blower on a mustang.
I have couple of question only you guys could answer:

1.How did DMX's project work out did the internals hold up, I saw couple of other people with his kit. I am planing on running 8psi on stock 97 motor tell me why the internals would break, there are 11psi kit for this car and no prob?

2.Any one know a book/info on eaton blower porting/rebuilding?

3. Why do SC guys not make max power at 5000rpms like newer mustangs? Is it because of head and intake flow or the blower doesn't make boost up there?

Thanks guy, I really apreciate your input.

Well, I guess no one cares ha?
or may be you guys think I can't do it?

Well, you are wrong. I have an accsess to a very big and I mean very big "machine shop" that can machine me any needed part for very cheap. I know have help from RGR, one of the best porter for 3.8 V6.

GUys you may think what do I care about the mustang kits? I have an answer, right after I get first money from first few kits, I will have the shop machine new "blowers". Internal compression watercooled casing/rotor design that will have clearances inbetween the rotors much smaller then the new M90. Plus I can pump them out the door for $500.

I have also studied the autorotor project and why it failed and came up with a clever solution with special air distributing intercooler. It won't cost you much.

So how do we go about it you guys give me your input and I will help you out in return.

SpeedKills, just because you do not get any respect on V6Power does not mean you can come here and start mouthing off.

You know the reason no one has answered you, because they do not have the answers.

You need to follow Gaston's advice and either put-up or shut-up.

Sorry, you've been asking for it. You have received help from this board before and now you've come back as a PITA. It is no wonder there are not any replies.

Oh, and you can search for a lot of your answers too. :D

3. Why do SC guys not make max power at 5000rpms like newer mustangs? Is it because of head and intake flow or the blower doesn't make boost up there?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the reason is the restriction of the stock intercooler at the higher boost level. (If what I read was correct..) It drops off 3psi at higher RPM due to this. Although, I could be completely off base.

Yes,I understand JJaney, I was looking for Ideas.

Thanks flinnt that helps. Is there are chance the blower gets very inefficent sense most people run the blowers way after its redline, I have hears it leack boost allot when that happens?

At higher RPMs the blower becomes very inefficient, this coupled with the IC boost drop doesn't really help us out in the top end. There are probably other reasons also.

Thanks man, forgive me for what I was doing before, cluttering the forums with spam, the R&D takes so long so to just pass time I some times reply to people question about vortechs hoping they might hold off their purchase and wait for the my kit. Some of those guys may thank me some time in the future or those that have not seen the mention of the kit may mad for spending 4K instead of 1000 that I may be able to sell the kit for. Thats why I used to do it, if you guys don't like it I will stop.

Also last time one of my partners had posted on this forum about the kit kit long time ago, he gave wrong info and people just ripped apart my ideas and critisized me. I don't really have a problem with it, it actually helped me out. I only want to know your ideas about it, its just when I look through older post on the subject it doesn't seem to be very specific and I know that people don;t have the answers but any clues or ideas will help us greatly and will be greatly apreciated. Thanks guys.

I searched for the results of DMX's project, but I only found him looking for forged crank, did something happen?

Maybe I can offer some ideas...

If you really have access to the machining equipment you say you do, then making these parts should be a breeze.

But I will answer your questions to the best of my ability.

The blower swap to mustang or T-bird LX 3.8's has been talked about in much depth before. For the most part the SC 3.8L is a substantial upgrade in internal components over the standard 3.8L. Even the SC block is stronger than the N/A 3.8.

However, this doesn't mean that a Supercharger won't work on a N/A 3.8. The Roots blower is a Positive displacement pump and works well at low RPM. Read : Gut busting, connecting rod breaking low end torque. Alot of guys run vortechs which are centrifugal blowers that make alot of high midrange and top end hp. They are a little bit better in the parasitic drag department but just like a turbo, have little to offer in the lower end.

I've recommended in the past that I feel a stock compression n/a 3.8 is capable of handling 6-8psi of intercooled boost without major internal modification. Our blowers have been known to make much more than that.

Gaston did a crazy 3.8L build up that consisted of the SC block and internals, with the 99+ splitport heads and intake. He rounded out the package with a vortech. That combo was a correct combo.

One of the reasons why our cars fall flat on their face after 5000rpm or so, is mainly due to the crappy exhaust and inake manifold design. The newer mustangs (like the 99+ splitports) are designed to accelerate the flow of air over a certain RPM and allow a much larger operating space for them.

SC engines use a forged steel crank and not a cast one. That is another important piece that you have to look out for. Especially since the 3.8L uses offset crank throws. Therefore the 'meat' in between rod journals is of a different diameter than the rest of the crank. SC cranks were underfinished by .010" in the rear main journal to keep a N/A crank from being accidentally installed.

Now, there is no "how to" book or anything like that for blower porting. Certainly you can increase the blower's ability to pump air to a point with some careful porting. But any of the machine shops who have discovered porting that works are not willing to share the specifics on how to, since that is their business. If you have access to a huge machine shop, I'm sure you have access to some flow testing equipment. Try grabbing a few grenaded M90's and try different amounts of porting to a few cases. Measure everything. You might come up with something that flows good air without making huge boost numbers (this is good since it will allow the eaton to pump more air with each revolution )

And of course you may just want to ditch the M90 altogether cause the autorotor (lysholm) screw charger is the way to go. If you did figure out a way to get that to work, then work on that, since there is no bolt on kit for a whipple charger.

Thanks Deep6 for good input, that helps allot.

See guys the stock V6 in mustang can handle 11psi with out any problem from a centryfugial. I plan to run 8psi non-intercooled with RGR ported lower and he might port the blowers also. The way I figure sense hp is made up from TQ*RPMS/5250. If we keep the torque that procharger make same as our lower end tq on the blower then we should be safe. Would you not agree. I assume the torque is created by amount of air/fuel purned per combustion.

The machine shop is far away from me and its 100% CNC. Only thing I can do is create CNC controll code with software they gave me. I have learned in and outs of their capabiliies and how to cut their production prices dramaticly. The reason I havent ordered any prototype made by them is because they prototyping costs as much as a good producion run, but I saved up money for one set of parts so as soon as RGR and rest of my partners aprove my design I will have them make a couple of kits that we can bolt up to test.

Last edited:
Back