Differential seal/circlip replacement

Thundersteel

I want to install new bearing seals (where the halfshafts go) in a pumpkin assembly I just obtained. The factory service manual calls for some funky tool to do it with. Can I do it without this tool? Do I just pry them out with a screwdriver and tap the new ones in with a rubber mallet?

Also, I want to install new circlips on the halfshafts before I install the new pumpkin. What's the best way to remove the old ones, and install the new ones?

Thanx!

you can get a new complete bearing kit from Summit of 95$..i know this isnt exactly the answer you want, but i would take it to a shop to have done. Im not sure if you have alot of experience with diffs, but there are somethings best left to a shop....front suspension and differntial are those two for me. BTW, is there a reason why you havent upgraded to a Mr. Fusion to work with hte Flux Capacitor:D ?

joseph

You can use a pick to remove the seal. I'm not sure how easy it would be to install. The point of the tool is to ensure the force applied when installing is even across the face of the seal. This ensures it is driven into the bore squarely. If not driven squarely, it can twist in the bore, even a little bit allowing for a leak to develop.

The circlips should be fine unless you have some reason to believe they are not. Depending on the mileage, the Trac-Loc would be something to look at rebuilding. And then check the bearings and if necessary replace. As long as you don't need to pull the pinion or ring gear you can likely do much of the work yourself.

To replace them you need to get into the diff, removing the preload spring for the track lock then slip the clips off the ends of the axle stub shafts.

Holly thread resusitation #2 Batman!

Im about to do the same thing, instead of the tool used in the manual (which i spent much time looking for) i plan on using a large slide hammer kit with those puller hooks and see how it goes. I actually managed to get the seals out with a seal/hook tool i found on sears for like $6 bux. It looks like a large T but the top part has hooks to get to the seal...however since it was my first time doing such a thing i ended up busting one of the bearings :D . Trust me that didnt happen with the other one. So now i have to use the slide hamme kit to get the bearing out. One thing i would recomend is getting the halfshaft oil seals out BEFORE taking the differential out. its too much of a pain in the butt doing it with the pumpkin out since it wobbles alot. With the differential still mounted on the car the T-shaped seal removal tool attached to some sort of pipe for more leverage should work marvelously and make the job much easier. Besides the busted bearing im changing the oil seals, circlips and the housing cover gasket:

FYI...June 2005: (yes im a nerd, i didnt go to carlisle so im changing those darned seals :cool: )

*Pilot bearing oil seal (halfshaft seal): E9SZ-4B416-A $11.80 EACH...two required

*Halfshaft circlip: E9SZ-4N237-A $2.52 each...but its special order of a minimum baggie of 4 so it comes to $10.08.

Your circlips are good, no need for replacement unless they are bent. I would use the old ones, as I have made a swap of differential myself, with NO adverse affects with using the old ones.

Same here. I reused the clirclips and the axle seals. No problems. But I was careful not to put undue pressure on the used seals. :)

Back