cold start

SC8990

Whenever I start my 89' after it has been sitting for at least 8 hours or below 50 degrees it wants to die. It cranks 2-3 times and turns over but the rpm just goes to 700 and drops right away, unless I give it gas. I've owned this car for 2 years and up until a couple months ago it would goto 1500rpm and stay there for about 10 seconds on a cold start, it no longer does this.

Battery is original with 170k, and I broke the bolt holding the positive cable onto the battery so I just sat the connector on top of the battery not bolted on and forgot about it, could that have something to do with it?

Also if I let the car die and then try to restart it cranks real slow and lights/stereo flashes and acts like battery is dying but then it starts in 4-5 cranks. Oh and warm starts are great, cranks 1-2 times and it's good to go, not outside temp. but engine.

I've mastered holding clutch, starting, and pressing gas to stay around 1500rpm but I'm tired of it....any help will be greatly appreciated.

Clean both battery connections, replace the broken bolt, reconect the battery cables and tighten the clamps.

I bought a new battery and both cables along with a starter relay, just haven't had time to put them on. I would like to know if that could cause the problem I am having though. I don't see how it could since low power problem is only when it dies. I also forgot to mention I switched the IAC & TPS from one car to the other and no change.

sounds to me like the battery was low enough for ecm to forget your idle settings mine took 2 or 3 days to idle right after i changed battery

I'll try and get the new battery and stuff in tommorrow and see if there's any change. Does the IAC control the idle speed on a cold start? If not, what does? I want it to go back to 1500rpm when cold.

The IAC controls the idle all the time and yes loose battery connections can cause all kinds of problems. The engine is controled by a computer and they like a nice steady power supply.
Loose connections do not do this.

Back