Removing the Decklid

SC-71 TBIRD

Hello All,

The question that I have for you today is what are the procedure in removing the decklid from a 1989 SC? I was looking at it the other day and I do not have a clue how to remove it. It does not appear to be an easy job.

I think there's 2 nuts on each side holding it onto the hinges, pretty simple stuff, but if you have to line it up when putting back on may not be fun. As for the reflectors, just look in the little holes all in the lid and you'll see the screws/bolts (forgot which one) but should be around 8 of them. Hope this helps....

Yep... 4 little bolts. Unplug the wiring harness take out the 4 bolts and slide it off the hinges. One of the simpler jobs on this car actually.

Any one know the best way to remove the trunck lid with the hinges.

The hinges has pins in it.can they be removed,and what would be the best way
to put the hing pins back on.

RANDY

Thank you very much guys for the information. I will take a look again because I do not remember seeing any type to bolts to remove and disassemble the decklid. Half the time and can look at something and miss the obvious.:confused: Thanks again.:)

Thank you very much guys for the information. I will take a look again because I do not remember seeing any type to bolts to remove and disassemble the decklid. Half the time and can look at something and miss the obvious. Thanks again.I'll post a pic of it for you, you'll kick yourself because its very obvious. LOL!!!

Any one know the best way to remove the trunck lid with the hinges.

The hinges has pins in it.can they be removed,and what would be the best way
to put the hing pins back on.
I'll take a look at it today Randy, but I opted to remove the lid from the hinges because I did'nt want to remove the springs.

Well my wifes car got hit in the rear .The insurance total the car.But i have most
of it straightened out.But the trunk lid.It can't be fix.The hinges are bent so I need to
remove the hinges and lid.

I was going to put my SC trunk lid on her LX.And then put a fiber glass lid on my SC.
Thank to the insurance.

The things I half to sacrifice for the wife.:D I guess I will just half to live with a glass
lid on the SC.:D

Heres a pic of the bolts you need to remove, there are 2 on each side and in this pic I have already removed 1 of the 2.

Randy it looks like you have to cut the pin that holds the arms in the rear deck. I dont see any bolts or anything.

Attachments

• trunk hinge.jpg
    trunk hinge.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 79
That is so flippin funny, lol!! Like an idiot I was looking around the hinges inside the trunk, doh!:eek: Oh well, guess that's one of the reasons why I never made it as a auto technician, lol. Mike thanks a million for the pic. Now I can change my decklid on my SC and feel like a mechanic again! LOL:D

Back