Broken balancer

charged92

Hey guy's

Got a chance to buy a car that has a broken balancer on it. The guy has a used balancer he will install. I got to thinking about it and my question is .... doesn't a broken balancer mean the possibility of major damage to the engine? I want to rebuild the engine anyway so if it was damaged do I still have a decent motor to work with? What should I watch/listen for? Let me know. :confused: I want to buy this car!

Last edited:
i just fixed mine it didnt hurt anything else worst would be if it came off and broke oil cooler line or crank sensor shouldnt hurt anything internally cause it shuts off right away, if they put a used one on make sure it doesnt wobble they arnt meant to be reused but ford doesnt make them any more i tried to get one

Last edited:
BHJ (BJH?) Balancer

I would NEVER put a used balancer on my car. Mine broke once cuz the Ford garage (in Germany) re-used the balancer. I got lucky though, cuz I had my Mom buy a new one from a Ford garage back home. They charged her $35.00 for a $350.00 balancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, If it was me, I'd buy one of those BHJ (BJH?) steel balacners that SCP sells. Have you ever seen how THIN that alum. sleeve is that slides onto the crank snout? Also note, that there is an interferrance fit betweent he snout & the balancer. The balancer is actually SMALLER than the snout. The alum. has to stretch to fit over the snout. Keywords are THIN ALUMINUM & STRETCH. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it's an accident waiting to happen. I guess that's why so many OEM balancers have broken.

68COUGAR

I only need the used balancer put on because the car is a couple hours away from where I live and I need to drive it home! When I get it home The motor will be yanked and a complete rebuild done with the appropriate after market pieces. Rest assured it's only for the 2 hour drive home. It beats paying for a tow truck!

Well, In that case......................

I'd go for it too.

You'd better bring a known good crank sensor & a 5.5mm nutdriver, wrench, & 6 point socket with you.

I broke 2 Craftsmen 5.5mm wrenches trying to get a buddies crank sensor off. The 5.5mm 6-point nutdriver (with LG ratchet) finally broke those tiny little screws loose. Took us 3 days to get those 2 screws out!!!!!!

68COUGAR

Back