Clutch chatter

More information,

Is it a new clutch?

Is it an old clutch?

Do you have any oil leaks?

Have you ever slipped the clutch really badly?

If it is a new clutch, did you have the flywheel turned? If not you need to.

Not to hijack but..

I've had a NEW stock flywheel installed, and NEW C.F. II 11.5" with new P.P and T/O bearing.

6-8 months later.... chatter. Vibes though the clutch pedal and a case of the "herky jerkies" when first accelerating and a little bit when decelerating too. Stock clutch was also doing that when the T/O bearing started knocking.

I find that reving the engine to about 1000-1100rpm and carefully massaging/slipping the clutch's "sweet spot" when first taking off from a stop eliminates the majority of the chatter.

However, I hate doing that and I just wanna lock the dam thing up ASAP.

im not sure what kind of clutch it is....but its only 10,000 miles old...and the flywheel was turned at the same time....brand new slave....so basically just deal with it untill i get a dual centerforce...ehh thats no bid deal i guess

When the clutch was installed, were you absolutely anal about cleaning everything?

A small amount of grease or oil can cause the clutch to chatter. I used dirty hands to install my first clutch (1980 Chevy PU three-on-the-tree), my dad just stood by and gave me the "I told you so" after.

Any friction surface must be absolutly clean during assembly.

Aaron

stay away from the dual centerforce (junk) clutch. Unless you want to change it almost as often as you change oil. Did you have to put any shims on the flywheel for depth alignment.

Back