What's a good stock rebuild kit?

Kit looks OK..

I would consider using 94-95 Rods, and see if the Melling oil pump is the late model hi-volume pump.

I would consider king bearings for the rebuild as well...

Regardless the price looks OK I guess....

Brad

Believe it or not, those bearing don't look all that bad.... even the ones into the copper backings. That's about normal for a motor that's had marginal oil changes (all the black stuff in the lifter valley) and over 100K miles. What were the symptoms? Knocking?

Anyway, I'd take the pistons, block, heads and crank to a machine shop to be cleaned and cracked checked. Have the crank checked for size and polished or cut. Although, it probably could be polished from the looks of the bearings. Does it feel like a washboard on the journals or smooth. Have the pistons cleaned and checked to the bore size. They might be able to hone the cylinders for new rings without having to bore oversize. Anything up to about .003"-.004" clearance will be ok. Get the heads checked over, a valve job done and some port work done to the exhausts.

As for the parts, you'll need to have the crank and block/pistons checked before ordering anything. Otherwise you'll wind up with a bunch of pieces that may not fit. Also, that kit is for a non-SC motor. I'm sure Northern has the SC kit, I've dealt with them many times and they're great. Especially since they'll let you piece-part the kits. For instance, if you're block/pistons check out and your cam and lifters aren't bad they can be reused. Northern will remove them from the kit but still let you buy the 'Master Kit'. Everything down to the freeze plugs can be modified. I'd recommend getting the FelPro gaskets and Moly ring upgrade. A new oil pump will probably NOT be included in an SC kit, so ask about the specifically and ask the rep to double check the number for SC versus non-SC. All of the reps I've dealt with have been great and actually knew what was going on.

Good luck.
Steve

Be Careful!!

I noticed this kit is listed for all 3.8L 89-93. SC requires specific pistons for CR and heavier duty. Also cam is SC specific. Try to find 94-95 SC oil pump as it's higher volume(more gear teeth and wider). Melling makes one but don't remember part #. Definately pop for the Felpro gaskets as the head gasket is much better. Good luck, John

Yeah I have to agree those bearings dont look that bad, although they are worn out. They look like the ones out of my motor.
I just tore down a 91 engine and those bearings were solid copper......no Babbit hardly at all! and #6 rod bearing was completely gone, no evidence at all of it being there except for silverish mud in bottom of the oil pan. The #6 rod was in 3 peices!:eek:
The stock rod bolts are hell of alot stronger than most people think...there still in tact on the broken rod.:eek: That rod took one hell of a beating! :rolleyes: Damn ricer kid!!!

BlackbirdSC said:
Believe it or not, those bearing don't look all that bad.... even the ones into the copper backings. That's about normal for a motor that's had marginal oil changes (all the black stuff in the lifter valley) and over 100K miles. What were the symptoms? Knocking?

Anyway, I'd take the pistons, block, heads and crank to a machine shop to be cleaned and cracked checked. Have the crank checked for size and polished or cut. Although, it probably could be polished from the looks of the bearings. Does it feel like a washboard on the journals or smooth. Have the pistons cleaned and checked to the bore size. They might be able to hone the cylinders for new rings without having to bore oversize. Anything up to about .003"-.004" clearance will be ok. Get the heads checked over, a valve job done and some port work done to the exhausts.

As for the parts, you'll need to have the crank and block/pistons checked before ordering anything. Otherwise you'll wind up with a bunch of pieces that may not fit. Also, that kit is for a non-SC motor. I'm sure Northern has the SC kit, I've dealt with them many times and they're great. Especially since they'll let you piece-part the kits. For instance, if you're block/pistons check out and your cam and lifters aren't bad they can be reused. Northern will remove them from the kit but still let you buy the 'Master Kit'. Everything down to the freeze plugs can be modified. I'd recommend getting the FelPro gaskets and Moly ring upgrade. A new oil pump will probably NOT be included in an SC kit, so ask about the specifically and ask the rep to double check the number for SC versus non-SC. All of the reps I've dealt with have been great and actually knew what was going on.

Good luck.
Steve

Dang dude, that answers pretty much all of the questions I had, mainly if I could peice together the rebuild kit... I plan on having it checked over thouroughly before specifying what I need. The motor looks like it's been rebuilt 1-2 times before and the cylinder walls have been bored already, but theres no stampping on the rods/pistons.

I'm new at this, I'm learning a ton, thanks for your help guys.

Back