Crank pulley damper/dampener

hey man...the best one available is the BHJ dampener..but the stock one is more resonable price wise....but the BHJ is a lifetime part!!!! WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE......make sure the pulley is zero balanced or u will be doing it over again a few days later....trust me..i know(lol)

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you mean by zero balanced? I definitely wouldn't want to be doing this again in a few days.

Thanks!

I need to know a little more about zero balancing also, is this something thst has to be done at the dealership? Thanks, Jon

Balance

This is how I understand it. At the very least this should shed some light on the subject.

The stock Pully and Dampener should be zero balanced together as a unit. If you buy a new Pully and Dampener as a unit from Ford it will be zero balanced and should bolt right on. If you only buy one and re-use the other then you will have to get them balanced together at a shop.

If you get a BHJ Dampener you will have to take your old pully (or a new one) and your new BHJ Dampener to a shop to have them Zero balance them as a unit.

You cannot take your old pully and bolt it right onto a new BHJ dampener without having them balanced.

Cheers
MB

Hi

Sorry guys...should have explained a little better!!

Ok...looks like MartianBob pretty well got it all!!!

From my understanding of Zero Balance and its definition---Pretty well that the backside of the Pulley and the front side of the Balancer are Perfectly Flush with one another, allowing a perfect spin with no wobble!!

One more thing ..... if you are doing this job yourself... be very careful when cleaning off the old sleeve of the balancer on the crank snout!!!

What i did was take out the fan for room...get a power drill and small bit...pull off old oil seal....drill about 4 - 7 holes all the way through and around like a clock on old sleeve that is still on the snout(this is part when u must be careful not to scarr the snout)
then you should be able to take old sleeve off in sections!!

Also be careful of metal chips falling into oil pan....I was very concerned of this, so i ran some oil through seal hole before installation.. and then again before oil change!!

Well I hope this helps:D

Back