Gears for my '95 auto?

SILVERBIRD

I have a '95 SC auto....and have a newly re-worked diff from my crunched '90 with 3.73's in it. I was going to swap the diff's- I understand that because my car has traction control, that I will have to turn the switch off, etc....but I have heard that they are too agressive because of the transmission ratio difference between the AOD and the 4r70w......any advice?
Mike

I do not think that going to a locking type rear will make it necessary for you to turn off the trac assist. Generally turning off the trac assist is a good idea. It eats the rear brake pads fast, and doesn't help tracion much anyway. But I don't see why anything would be any worse with a locker.

On the gear ratios. I also don't see much of a problem there. I think I heard you generally are OK if you only go up 2 sizes, which you are. Plenty of people have gone to 3.73's with the 4R70W. Perhaps one of them should answer since I don't have experience with that setup.

I have gotten the idea that it is too nutty.....I get the part about the traction assist.....was wondering about the gears.....thanks for the quick reply! Do you know anyone with them in?
Mike

Mendola for one. Take a look through the members section and look at the mods. You can usually contact the owners there also for first hand experiences.

Back