Question about headers.........

z90sc

getting ready to add Kooks' middies,if I remove the cats will I have problems with the o2 sensors?Also need some suggestions as to where to relocate the o2 sensors......is this a dumb question or what?
thanks,
z

Z,

I've got the same headers on my car and they have a bung on the collector for mounting the o2 sensors. You will need a longer lead on the drivers side sensor. I just replaced both of my sensors with new ones that had longer wires.

The cats come after the o2 sensors, so it doesn't matter if you have them or not.

I don't know if having EGR changes anything, because it's not on my car.

David

I have ran stock o2s with cats and without cats.

No problems. With or without cats did not effect the o2s . I never got a CEL light that is.

Thanks for the replies...how hard was the install,I don't have a lift.I've checked with several shops in my area and the quotes have been consistently btw. $400-$500......of course any time a shop discovers I have a SC,the price goes up.
z

You can install headers in your driveway. I have several times. I use ramps in the front to hold up the car...they give you a little more room to move around under the car. You can easily do this in a weekend if this is your first time (less than a day if your experienced). I'd have a backup vehicle ready just in case....my first set of Kooks mid-lengths didn't have to driver-side O2 bung located correctly and the O2 wouldn't install. If you have a 5 spd you have a better chance of it fitting the first time since the transmission isn't as wide as the AOD. Also, quality control at Kooks might be better now than when I installed mine ealy last year.

After you get the headers installed, have fun driving to the exhaust shop with open headers, I know I did :)

Back