Air Silencer

91CaliTBIRD

Hi, i am thinking about removing my air silencer tomorrow. Im just not sure if its beneficial for me and if i should just leave it there since im going to get a better cold air kit. Also im in Calofornia so does it mess with smog? My setup so far is performance cats. a low resistance resinator and duel Flowmasters. I also have a 10% overdrive pulley which gives me about 13 to 14 p.s.i..>>>>If i got a better cold air induction system would i have to take it off anyways? Thanks

Go for it

Taking off the silencer will not adversely affect emissions, and neither will a cold air kit. You will notice a throatier intake noise but not objectionable imo. Depending how you route your cold air intake dictates whether you have to remove the silencer. Some people bend the intake 90 degrees down and put the conical filter right where the air silencer is, others turn the intake into the fender well area in which case you wouldn't have to remove the silencer.

Thanks, do you know how much more power i can get out of getting a different cold air intake kit oppose to just removing the air silencer? In another words is it worth the extra cash?...Thanks

Your benefits will be about the same with a K&N panel filter w/ air silencer removed as opposed to a cold air induction. If you go with a CAI You won't get the full benefit of this mod without upgrading your Mass air flow sensor ,throttle body,SC top and port matching etc. If you're ready to spend some cash then go for it! If you just want some cheap air flow increase and blower whine then take out the air silencer and put in an aftermarket filter.

SMOG???

Does anyone know for sure if there would be a smog problem by removing the silencer or adding a different C.A.I. system? Thanks

Just add a K&N air filter in the factory box. you will get the same amount of power out of it. Then take that money you saved from not buying a CAI and get some other performance mods.

so should i keep the silencer and add the K&N filter or take the silencer out and add the filter? Is there more flow without it because its not positioned in front were it draws air. Maybe its better off the line without the silencer but better at higher speeds with the silencer. Thanks

Back