HELP, my SC won't start !!!

lofreq

I have a 1990 SC 35th that will turn over fine but just won't fire. It has pleanty of fuel pressure and spark but just won't fire.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start ? Thanks !!

Maybe you could fill us in with a little history. Did you just get done doing some work to it? Did you just park it and then it won't start? Was it giving you any troubles the last time you drove it?

Thomas

Well, i just had the transmission changed and it seemed ok before but now it just basically coughs at you when you try to start it. It shudders but just won't catch.

Hey here a thought. Are your O2 sensors hooked up.

I put my customized exhast on tonight. The rtv is drying as we speak. Anyway for fun I thought I would start it with just the exhaust manifolds on too see how loud it was . Well I only had one hego/ O2s on because the driver side is on the manifold but the passenger side is on the pipe right before the cat so I unhooked it . IT RAN LIKE CRAP. It would act like only one bank was firing up. sounded like only three of the cylinders were trying to rev but couldn't because the other three wern't . IT would start to rise for 1/2 sec then start to sputter an die. It wouldnt idle anyway because I have major vac leaks. Aleast it would rev up good before but for some reason with no exhaust on and only one O2 it wouldn't climb up in RPMs. maybe you have a bad O2 sensor. just a thought.

No I don't think it would. But it would pevent it from reving up'

Have you made sure that your fuel injectors are firing. There is also a Orange ground wire in the middle of the six fuel injectors it is bolted down on the back of the drivers side head this is the ground for the whole O2s and fuel injectors if it is not ground the fuel injectors won't fire.

In your case you need to see if your neutral start sensor on the tranny is hooked. A code reader is a good way to make sure everthing is hooked up and you are making good connections. I would get one if I were you. After you have worked on a engine it is always wise to do a KOEO test to make sure everything is hooked up sure enough it wiil tell you if a sensor is broken or not making a good connection. good luck.

Also Oil fouled plugs will cause a motor not to start. If you smell alot of gas.

but car won't start could be cause of old worn out fouled plugs. Have you replaced the plugs lately? How long did the car sit around before the tranny swap. In this case here(fouled plugs) there would be NO CODES.

The car sat for a year but the plugs only have about 100 miles on them. The car ran fine before the tranny swap. There is a strong gas smell

Then it probably has the original 34pp in it.

So you need new plugs when you get a chance Autolite platinum pros worked good for me. You need to pull some plugs and check them. If they are black in color and all sooty then they very well could be fouled. I had to change some of the orignal 34pps out once at 50 thousand because they were fouled the car only sat for three months. Milage has nothing to do with it if thay sat around in gas and oil in the cylinder that are most likely fouled.

You say it shutters but just won't catch.

That is what mine would do it would pop a few times but wouldn't get going as soon as I changed the plugs it started right up. Also before I finally changed out to new plugs I would take the old one out and claen them off and blow the cylinders it would help but as soon as it sat around for a few days they would foul again. SO GET NEW PLUGS. I'm not saying it is the problem but new plugs wouldn't hurt anything. I gap mine at .051.

No problem the SCCOA has pointed me in the right direction many a times

Update : Well, i can't explaine it but today, ,out of the blue,the SC started. Don't know why but .................

It is still running very choppy and won't idle but at least it's headed in the right direction

Ok,ok. Update to the update. The car is DOA again. Won't even caugh at me. I have no idea what the problem is. Yesterday it would start and today,NUTHIN.

I looked for a vaccume leak-nothin
checked the entire coilpack-sparks everywhere
Got pleanty of fuel

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Thanks !

We hooked a code reader to it and it gave no error codes. According to the code reader,all systems are normal

Back