how about the new MM&FF issue!

new MM&FF

First very nice job everyone that was in it. The only thing Ididnt like about it was that the Tc guys were cut completely out of it and that it sounded like they were cutting the Sc down (might just be the way i read it).

They used my motor shot because Ron's was so dirty!!!!!:D

JK, Ron. I had the issue for also a week and just noticed that as soon as Andy mentioned it.
later
Ken

I guess 28 is old, I hadn't really thought about it. I noticed the engine shot was not mine because my Diehard Gold battery is square, not round like what ever Ken has...

I think it is a shame the turbo coupes were left out, especially since some of them were running better than I was...

I have to say that I'm glad we got some coverage, but at the same time, I think they could have done a bit more. After all, it's not JUST a mustang mag. I get it and enjoy it, but would definately like to see more diversity so to speak.

If I'm not mistaken, it was a bit of a "thrown together" invite, was it not? I think that some future planning would have resulted in better attendance and better results. I'm not trying to take anything away from those that did attend. Maybe in the future we could invite them (MM&FF) to our annual SC shootout. From what I understand, there was a much better turn out there. And I think that we would better be represented by a meet like that as opposed to what was held for the mag.

But maybe that's just me. I just guess that seeing the mustang meet coverage dwarfed the coverage we got by the same mag. And I realize that this was the first *annual* meet, but still, I felt the coverage was lacking. maybe to get better coverage there needs to be more than SC's and TC's. I know there are a lot of fast T-birds out there.

To those who did participate, great job! I wish I could have been there too. But that's quite a drive from NE! Keep up the good work! You've all given me an indication of where I should be when I get mine back together. (Based upon your mods and times.)

Sam,
They only have enough space in the mag for shootout like this. If they came to one of our events, it would be difficult to get everything organized on their part. In the article, they had 17 people show up. I think they only wanted 10 people. We had to figure on who was going to back down from the shootout. Not too many people were willing to give in.

If they do another shootout, hopefully we will know more in advance, but like this one was "invitation only event". I like the idea of only allowing people who are on the list to be in the magazine.

Later
Ken
PS alot of this new to those who were there......inlcuding myself

I understand the space issue with the shootout. I just think that it would be nice to have *more representation in the mag. Maybe in the future we will get that. I know it will never be as much as the mustangs. Their write up didn't say much though. And that is what I dissappointed about. I guess it had been pumped up to be more than it ended up being, that's all.

Sam,
I know what you mean about the coverage. I was hoping for more, but beggars cannot be chosers.

I hope they decide to do an article or two on some the faster SC/XR7 guys.

I know both Gary and Dave (the top 2 on the sc shootout). Actually I know everyone who was there. I would hope those two at least would get a more feature article.

Remember, one of the guys who works for MM&FF is an MN12 guy. I hope ther is more to come.
Later
Ken

Ehh I didnt even run my car...Actually teh event was in teh planning room for awhile unfortunately I wanst notified when it was taking place till 2 weeks before the date..And shootouts are invite only ...Its not an event..So actually 17 showing up was well a very good turnout..Unfortunately if done again I would hope to get a few 11 sec SC's down.....That would cause a stink

Hopefully next time....

Jesse Freeman (Blackonyxx) works for Primedia that publishes the MM&FF mag. The NJTACC did a group thing last year for the mag and we had 24 cars show up. They did SQUAT!!!!!! They took pics I wrote some info on the SCCOA and the NJTACC and they said "SORRY, THE CROWN VICS ARE A NICER CAR".
I was PISSED!!!! How dare they say that about the MN12 cars.

The guy who runs MM&FF Jim Campisano said that the following for the mag was not there for a large article on these cars.

Hopefully we can write some letters to them and get some more coverage. They fail to realize that we are pushing a 4000 lb car in the 11 second range. Not bad with early 90's late 80's technology.

Sorry, just had to vent.

Glad to see that the press has gotten out to all those who attended. I was unable to attend due to work schedule and bad master cylinder for clutch.

See everyone soon,

Don

Personally I was very insulted that they chose such a patronizing name for the article.

"Shootout for the Birds."

Why bother? I was also dissapointed that they didn't bother to interview any of us. There was a lot of misinformation in the article. Maybe you can put together a Mustang shootout on the spur of the moment like that because there will always be at least a couple dozen fast Mustangs in any given city, but when you are talking about a model for which there are about a dozen fast specimens IN THE COUNTRY, you need a *little* more planning than that.

There was no comment as to why my car ran it's quickest time at 100mph. If that were a Mustang there would have been all sorts of explanations. No mention of how the quickest non-nitrous run was made by a car with almost no budget and a lot of stock or home made parts. No credit given to the fact that the people pushing the envelope on these cars have no corporate backing and no aftermarket support. No mention given to the fact that even the fastest cars in the SC realm (who were unable to attend) have had to hand fabricate most of their stuff in their garages. The fact that NONE of us make a living off this stuff and NO ONE supports any of us - oh that wasn't even a consideration.

I was reading through the entire mag and was noticing all the homage paid to some of the "early" Mustang stuff. How proud they were of Defoe's Mustang. I remember that car from back before it was MM&FF. I remember "Mean Mr. Mustang" running 13's and how proud they were of that car. Why can't they show just a *little* enthusiasm for our cars? I don't even see many 3.8 Mustangs that could run with our crowd.

I'm not asking that they run a feature article on any of us. I'm not asking that the article be in the front half of the mag. All I would have hoped is that they had shown a little enthusiasm for a car that NO ONE ELSE has ever shown any interest in. Perhaps their readers would be interested in seeing something a little different and presented in a light that doesn't appear like a freak show at the circus.

Just ask Gary how many "Mustang" guys crowd around his car at the track. Maybe a picture like this would interest a few MM&FF readers. Probably not though. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• gary launch small.jpg
    gary launch small.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 307
The misinformation in the article abounds, I had little to nothing to do with finding people to show up to this shootout, nor is my car mostly stock. When the "fact checker" called to follow up on my information, I immediately pointed him to the member section of sccoa.com. I repeated at least 3 times to him that everyone's information could be checked against what was on the site, did they look?, I have to wonder...

I have read and re-read this article and I have to say I am proud of what the "super coupe movement" is all about. If I had written this article I would have focused on what makes "Super Coupin' " different. You have Dave driving Gary's car, you have Lazzo's work on Gary's car, you have everyone helping each other out whether it was by lending tools, lending equipment, lending helmets, giving water out on a 110F day, guys driving crazy hours together to get to NJ, drivers lending advice to one another.

This is what makes us different and special at the same time and maybe next time this will be captured better.

You have Dave driving Gary's car,

Good thing some of the weeds from the Ontario crowd weren't in attendence. They frown upon this sort of thing. It's a shame really. Helping other people IS what this community is all about, even if that means helping someone learn to drive their car faster.

I had a great time at this event, and enjoyed seeing everyone again.

It might be a good thing to not get a bunch of exposure. It seems like some things get ruined when they become real popular. Many of the reasons given for liking the SC would be gone if they were as popular as Mustangs. The SC following is a smaller group of people not only because of production numbers, but because it is more difficult and takes more determination to stick with these cars.
If everyone knew how fast these cars are it wouldn't be as much fun suprising people. My car is just stock but is still a lot of fun to keep up with cars when they don't think I can or didn't even notice me until I was still right there.

Kurt

About most automobile mags..

They screw up every article(You just dont know it because its not you the article is about.)
Most magazine held events are disorganized and last minute
(The Mercury Lincoln event MM&FF had was just as disorganized)
Articles are biased (they are never 100% factual)

Its nothing against our community...if you think about it we are the crackhead ford enthusiasts. Working on a v6 HEAVY obsolete car..Our cars do not sell magazines...We need to deal with that..The fact that we had a shootout..And had an article in a VERY LARGELY PUBLICIZED MAGAZINE...Is amazing in itself..It also helps when you know people..Complain all ya want it probably wont get better then this ever:O)..And if theres one next year..Im kickin *** and takin names!!!!

MM&FF speaks before it thinks sometimes. I've found a few pics here and there that have quotes that make no sense. In last months issue, for example, in the nitrous article with all the steps, there was a picture of a turbo coupe engine with a homemade ic cooler using a carb. nitrous plate to spray the IC. What went with that....something like enthusiasts like this one use a homemade nitrous system taped over the intake area of the engine. Bla, bla, bla, his car may blow up from just using nitrous without no extra fuel. What idiots, you would think they haven't seen an intercooler before. Gotta wonder, they have the project chillipepper, a zx5, with an auto, as one of their featured cars, c'mon now. They should sponsor an SC an show it from stock to all out with every bolt on. That would be worth reading.

Well....

The article certainly was a bit patronizing, and they did screw up quite a few facts (Lincoln MAF, really?), but I for one am thrilled to have even the little space I got.

With no real notice, and 95+ degree temps, I think we did a pretty good job.

Unfortunately, they probably won't try it again.

I never read car rags anymore. There nothing but a bunch of marketing whores anymore. I kept seeing so much misinformation in them I just stopped looking at them. I thought about picking this one up, but I'm gonna pass.

Back