SC Top and Intercooler tube ?

layinthesmack31

Hey guys i was just wondering if i could cut the spanner nut off the SC top and use a rubber plumbing tube to connect the top to the intercooler tube? Has any one ever done this? I have seen it dont on the tubes for a front mount intercooler but i havent seen it on the stock tube. I was just curious cause i am sick of having to take the top and the tube off when i just need to take off the intercooler tube. please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Matt

I'm not sure that it would be worth the effort of cutting the nut off. I don't think that you would be able to get a good enough seal with a hose and clampls. First off, you'd have 2 different diameters to cover. The top diameter and the upper IC tube diameter. The upper ic tube has those threads to tighten the 2 pieces together. I just don't think that you'd get a good enough seal. I'd recommend tbird88's reusable ic gaskets and a spanner wrench for the top. Then you don't have to take the top off everytime you take off the upper ic tube. I've heard great things about the gaskets that tbird88 has and am planning on getting a set in the near future. He's got a post on the parts for sale board and there he's got a link to his web site. That's the alternative I'm going with until I change my IC.

I am sure it can be done but you don't need to take off the top to take the tube off. All you need is a spanner nut wrench or a hammer and a block of wood.

I dont think you have to cut the nut in order to remove it from the top. All you have to do is unscrew that sealing collar and the nut will come right off.

With a set of tbirds gaskets and a spanner wrench removing/installing the top tube is a 2 minute job.

well i would also like it off so that i can put a coat of paint on them to kinda make them custom to the color of my car. I have used the hammer and the block of wood trick but i just dont like doing it and also the spanner wrench i dont wanna buy cause it is like 60 bucks and i do feel it is worth it really. what i was planing on doing is cutting the lip that is on the top off and also cutting the threads off the tube so that it would be the same diameter. I just figured that unscrewing a clamp is easier that they way it is now and i thought it might seal better if i put some RTV sealant on it when i tightened it down. please let me know what u think. thanks again.

MAtt

Why not just take the top off with ic tube still attached. The top is much easier to seal then the ic tube. Just my opinion.

Another issue with using a flexible hose on the top IC tube is that the tubes actually support IC core. Even though you would still have the bottom tube solidly bolted down the IC core might flop around too much on the top.

There are less expensive spanner wrenches for sale that work. There are the generic kind and I believe one member actually sells one for the car as well.

If you do attempt to take the big nut off of the top, just remember that the inner ring holding it on there is a LEFT handed thread! It is also locktited and is a bear to remove. Heat will help loosen it.

Something to think about

I wouldn't recommend this. One important reason is mentioned by Geroge Davenport above - the top IC tube also supports the IC. Although there is a bolt below the tube holding it onto the acc bracket, it need the full support.

If you do go this route, you open yourself up to the potential of a major vacume leak. As the motor runs and you hit the gas hard the rubber connection will flex and loosen. You run the risk of having it either pop off or loosen enough to cause leaking.

Good luck.

Mark
'93 SC

Back