What the ****

Darkside

I have a strange story to tell. When I bought my car about a month ago the check engine light would come on after sitting overnight. It would go off when I would accelerate and turn on when I would brake. It would do this until I drove for at least 30 minutes continuously. After that it would stay off until I started it again the next morning. Well, a week ago I finally pressure washed the engine with a Hotsy to get off all the dirt, oil and other such things and since then the CEL has never come back on once! WHAT THE ****! I mean it was on right before I washed it and never since. Another problem I had when I bought the car was that the fog lights didn't work and the car wouldn't go into the FIRM ride mode when I pushed the switch. I just figured I had some electrical gremlins. Anyway, I take off the console cover and come to find out that the two switches weren't plugged into their respective harnesses. I guess when the previous owner had the amp installed in the car the installers didn't plug those back in. The point is that sometimes you just get lucky. I thought I was going to have to invest time and money to fix those problems. What a relief.

Just to be sure....

You may want to invest in a "cheapo" code reader (generally available at your local WalMart or autoparts house) and pull the fault codes from the EEC memory. That will let you know for sure if the car "corrected" itself. I guess you could have had a loose connection to a sensor that was "fixed" by the wash. Still, I would want to know for sure. At any rate, $30.00 isn't a bad investment for a diagnostic tool that you will use for the life of the car.

Back