Crossmember

Darkside

I have a 90 auto that I'm going to put a 5-speed into, my question is do the auto's and manuals have different crossmembers or are they interchangeable? Do I need to change out the EEC?

There's about 2" difference in where the bolt holes for the auto vs std mount are located. If you decide to use your auto crossmember you'll hafta weld a tab extending rearward to catch the 5spd trans stud.

On my header jig, I used an AOD to locate the engine and everything but didn't have a spare auto crossmember so I grabbed a spare 5spd member and welded a tab on it and drilled a hole in the proper location to catch the auto stud.

You either need to get a 5spd crossmember or else do what I did but in reverse. Should be plenty of crossmembers for sale out there but as a last resort I can trade you if you pay shipping.

good luck,

'bird

I gotta tell ya, didn't think there was that much interest. Haven't run a profile-program yet to find ideal collector lengths for these, been hustlin' up random cam specs and other info for the guy that's gonna run the program.
Thought about just selling 'em as-is and leave the rocket science to the customer. It's not like any of the current header companies state any facts about why theirs is designed/built the particular way they are so what da heck.

350 without downpipes?

like Johnny 5 sez: input, need input!

'bird

Best thing to do is to get a 1994-1997 crossmember it has better crossmember bushings. If you decide to install polyurethane crossmember bushings we sell thoes too. The 89-93 crossmembers used a clam style crossmember bushing which dryrots and is really a poor design. 94-97 crossmembers work on both auto and 5-speed. If you are interested I have designed a T5 shifter box extension which allow you to install a T5 in a SC!

Rich

Crossmember Bushings

Shifter Box Extension

Back