Motor Question

unzer

Someone told me only certain year motors are compatable, i.e. the 95' block is different from the 90'. Is this true? If so, what years are interchangeable?

I have a 95 block 89 heads and crank no problems The only thing you have to worry about is balance everything and a line bore when you rebuild with different years
Tim

The guy I talked too, said that one of the differences is in the the cam (or was the crank?) position sensor (i.e. it's mounting position). I take it this is not true, or not a problem @ least?

Thanks for your help.

That balancer is a little different

There is a difference between the earlier model Balancer and the later models. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the sensor itself, or maybe just the positioning. I do know that the balancer looks different. You may be able to use the early style balancer on the later model block if the earlier model sensor mounting bracket will line up.

How's about if I narrow it down a little. Basically what I'm looking to do is put a 91/92' block & heads in my 95'. Will this work? Or will I need something out of the ordinary?

Thanks.

Yes you can do that. But you will need to put a 95 crank sensor and Harmonic Balancer on the 91-92 engine for it to work.

What's the difference? Are the older motors externally balanced instead of internal? I haven't seen an older model harmonic balancer, so I'm not sure what the differenc is.

They are all internally balanced, the difference is in the sensor (hall effect) ring on the back of the balancer and how it lines up with the slot in the crank sensor.

Back