Serious ????????????????

mikey

I have a serious question???????

When tightening down the fulcrum bolts on the Rocker Arms, is it suggested to manually turn the engine, as one is tightening for each cylinder to relieve the stress on Push Rods? Am I making any sense???...LOL

I am understood that our cars have some sort of Hydrolic Lifters, and I was told this procedure is not necasary, but this was from a non SC owner, so I would rather listen to an SC owner for advice on this matter!!

Thanks For The Input!!!:D

It helps to make the job easier. I turn the engine over until the lifters are on the cam lobe base and then tighten away.

I did mine over a year ago. Turned the engine to cylinder #1 TDC and then installed all of them from there. Haven't had any issues with them at all. If I were to do it again, I'd turn each cylinder to TDC, just to make sure I get it done right.

When I did mine I made sure each cylinder was at TDC before tightening the rocker bolts. I can't remember exactly how much they get tightened down. I want to say around 20ft lbs., maybe not quite that much. My valves have stayed quite and no other problems.

Brandon

I really wish people wouldent post if they dont know what they are talking about. The way to do it is to turn the motor over untill the lifter your working on is on the base circle of the cam. Start tightning the rocker bolt while spining the push rod between your fingers as soon as you feel the friction of the rocker touching the PR count how many turnes it takes untill you reach the torque rating of 25lbs. It should take no less then 11/2 turnes and no more then 3 turns. I like to turn the motor over and watch the way the rocker moves across the valve tip. If it isent over the middle you can add shims under the pedistal or get shorter PR to help center the rocker. Shims can be bought threw Ford

Thanks for the Info

Hi Guys!

Thanks for all the Input on the matter...

The way that i did mine was, Put cylinder #1 at TDC, and then torqued all of the Rockers down without manually turning crank!

I am getting a ping sometimes when I hit the Pedal, and its a real PITA to find!!! It's an Intermitent problem, but is there more than not!

From the way that it sounds like others have done their Rocker's etc.. I shouldn't have problems with mine.. So i should keep searching elsewhere for the problem maybe..

Here is a List of Jobs done to the Car Since Problem
-new head gaskets(rebuilt heads)
-new timing chain & sprockets & tensioner
-new intake manifold gaskets
-new harmonic balancer and pulley
-new gaskets on SC and related parts
-new O-rings on Fuel Injectors(12 rings altogether)

That is all..simple jobs really..ran into a few bumps but not much really!!! I made sure timing was right and have tool for Cam Sync, all hoses in good shape too!! I probably Should've replaced the Crank Sensor and will do so right away! I also Need to do a KOEO and KOER tests before I get any further...dam Pita though..have to take out chip everytime..should just leave it out for awhile..haha

Fortunitely Time is On My Side...I live in The Great White North and the snow is just pourin down..so i got about 5 months of misery...lol

Thanks Again
:D

Ping??

You say you hear a "ping" when you " hit the Pedal" What exactly does that mean. You hear a ping when you punch the accelerator all the way to the floor (WOT)? Also what is your boost guage read when you hear the ping? Is it a metal on metal type of sound, or something different. Also, what octane do you run? Just sounds suspiciously like detonation. What other mods do you have to the car? There's a lot that this pinging can be. You'll need to be very specific in order for us to be able to help out. And I don't think that it is your valve train at all. If it were, you'd have the problem all the time, not intermittenly.

Ok ..Here it Goes

I was Afraid of Rambling on Before..but here it goes

When i go easy on the Gas...the car is fine!!!

Seems like as soon as the SC starts to open..I hear a pinging or a clattering
As far as boost readings...pretty well as soon as I start to get a boost..it makes same noise

I always run nothing but Esso 91 octane, and Slick50 treatment every 3 months!

My mods are a HyperTech power programmer(3yrs), and 10% sc pulley(new), removed air silencer, and Flowmaster mufflers. Thats it. And earlier I mentioned the recent work!! Its frustrating to say the least!

I have never had pinging before .. but a freind came for a drive and he said ping too!! So thats what i have been calling it!

The thing is I did those jobs listed ealier and added new pulley 10% on SC, and now a noise...oach!!!!

What I am going to do in the near future is replace my Crank Sensor and change back to origanal snout on SC, run some test, and see what I get!!
I do appreciate all of this Input!!

With that 10% pulley you may be hearing detonation. If you are still able to drive it, try switching back to the stock pulley and see if the pinging goes away. If it does, I'd be very comfortable saying that it is detonation. It's hard to say with out actually hearing what is going on. That would be the first step that I'd take. Swap the pulley to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't you know to look somewhere else. I'd also look at using 92 octane. If it's like it is around here, I can only find 92 at one place. That's what I run.

I'm sure that you've heard it before too, but be very careful running that 10% without opening up the exhaust. Mufflers don't cut it. Keep us up to date.

Before you do anything you could just go pull your octane plug and see if that clears up the ping. You could also try a tank of 94 and see if it goes away. You might need a chip reburn to add fuel since the 10% pulley is adding boost. I would also try pulling plugs to make sure you dont have a bad injector or some other problem.

Hypertech power programmer????

Ummm, are you sure that is what you have? I didn't think this product was available for the SC much less 3.8L fords in general.

The hypertech power programmer is kinda like our EEC tuner product but much more user friendly in that you don't have to use a lap top to swap files.

It would have been great to have a hypertech power programmer available for our cars, I'm sure then, if it was, no one would have developed the EEC tuner!!!!

Do you mean to tell us you have one of those "Chip n' pulley" combos that I think "comptech" was selling a few years back? You know the "power package" advertized to add 35hp to the car?

Well, if that is what you have, it is basically bad. The chip is not truly optimized to run a 3.8L SC engine detonation free and like it was mentioned earlier, throwing a 10% pulley on a stock exhaust is going to greatly accelerate your chances of blowing your headgaskets unless you move to a much freer flowing complete exhaust system.

The problem is heat build up which can lead to detonation.

Back