Where do I buy an oil pump?

MP94SC

Ordered an oil pump for my 94 SC from the dealership and was informed that it was a discontinued item. Where can I get either a new pump or a rebuild kit with 8 tooth gears? Thanks, Jon

I do not think there is a rebuild kit for that oil pump, but you can order one from summit. The oil pump number is m246. It is for I believe a 99 3.8 mustang, but it will fit our cars. It has the 8 teeth on the pump. Just switch the oil cooler over and follow the directions on the install.
Later
Ken

Melling M246

Melling makes the replacement oil pump. Most places do not stock the oil pump. Any business selling Melling parts can order the pump like Jegs or Summit. The old SC pumps 89-93 have been superceeded to the latest part M246.

m246.gif

the newer 99+ 3.8 mustang motors have the 8 tooth oil pumps on them as well, they are the same, I am running hte mustang pump on my SC motor.

Are the stang pumps also longer gears like the SC??? If not im sure the 4.2 uses the samelonger 8 gear oil pump as the SC

what do you mean by longer Brian? I have a seto fboth 7 and 8 gears here I can compare them, mine is already installed but I have someone elses 8 tooth oil pump here right now.

If i remember right the SC oil pump gears are longer and had one extra gear over the 94 stang motor to add to Volume. You should be able to measure the pump from under the car and tell the difference.

here are some pics I took of the two style pumps, the 8 tooth gear pump is the slimmer pump of the two.

dscf0102.jpg

dscf0101.jpg

dscf0100.jpg

Is the 99 3.8L Mustang oil pump a direct bolt in or is there something else that needs to be done? Thanks, Jon

M246

The Mustang pump looks identical to the Melling M246 and I wouldn't be surprised if Melling was the OEM supplier of the Ford unit.

OK, I have both pumps here and did some measuring. The older 7 tooth pumps have a gear depth of 1.24 and the newer style 8 tooth pumps depth is 1.30. I then placed an 8 tooth gear next to a 7 tooth gear adn the heigh difference is noticeable although very very small. The height of the gears is 1.20 for the 7 tooth and 1.26 for the 8 tooth, same difference of 0.60. If I can get a camera I'll take a pic of the height differences to go along with the other pics I took in my previous post. I also measured the width of each gear, the 7 tooth is 1.47 wide and the 8 tooth is 1.67 wide.

The valley where the gears reside is also quite a bit larger on the 8 tooth pump, the 8 tooth being 1.73 wide and the 7 tooth being 1.625 wide, but the largest difference is in the length of the gear valley, the 8 tooth being 3 inches across and teh 7 tooth being 2.765, when you see them next to each other the 8 toth pump is quite a bit larger gear wise.

I'll see if I can put these figures onto a pic to better describe them.

Last edited:
BTW, it appears the 8 tooth pump started in 96 on the Mustangs, the part number on the pump I have here is F68E-6604-AB

Back