installing a brake pressure switch

superc0upe

Found my brake fluid leak and just about to install a brake pressure switch (the one for the ARC).
I saw from different posts that its fairly easy. I don't want to ask a stupid question but i want to do the job right.
Do i just unscrew the screw thats holding the switch onto the frame, unplug the wire and then unsrew the brake lines?
Is unsrewing the brake line the proper way to remove it from the switch?
Also, i also read that if i can put the brake lines back unto to switch fast enough that I do not have to bleed the brakes?

Thanks in advance for answering a simple question that I couldn't figure out :)

The switch itself unscrews from the metal block(proportioning valve) that the brake lines screw into. You dont need to remove the lines from the block(valve).

No sir! The switch is the part thats oily and has the wires connected to it in that pic. See the square part of that switch that looks like a nut? Thats where you put a wrench on it and unscrew it from the metal block(proportioning valve) that the lines screw into. You just unscrew that switch(sender) from the block(valve) and screw in a new one. Just like replacing the oil pressure sending unit.

Thank You!!!

oh crap!
Mike 38sc your the man! Thanks for your info, I would have actually tried to take the whole thing out (incl. brake lines). You saved me a lot of trouble.
Also thanks for relating your instructions with the pic, that helped a lot.

Thanks again!!!

joenintie sc,
You can get it from the dealer, but I heard its rare since the part are not produce anymore. If you can find one, it will probably cost you.
I got it from djkerridge, his email is djkerridge@i2k.com. Good business man. He sold me one from an SC with approx. 51,000 miles
Hope that helps

according to Fordz Coupe, "That is the brake pressure switch that tells the Ride Control system you just stomped on the brakes."

i honestly cannot tell you, but people had brake leaks from this switch and has not affected their braking (other then their brake fluid being low)
Perhaps the switch takes the ARC out of the firm mode when the brakes are applied??

The pressure switch won't affect braking performance apart from draining the brake fluid.
What the pressure switch does: if your ARC "Auto Ride Control" is set to "auto" mode, the ARC computer will switch the shocks to "Firm Ride" when sufficient brake pressure is applied.

Anytime brake line pressure to the rear brakes exceeds 400PSI the switch closes and the ARC system switches the shocks to their Firm setting.

A number

I use www.fordpartsnetwork.com for almost all my parts on my three vehicles. They have found a lot of parts that are diffucult to find. Go to their web site and check them out, then make your own decision.

The number I was supplied for this switch is FOSZ 3N824-A

I have not installed the switch as of yet, but I have checked it out and it looks correct. I paid around $75.00 for it about 8 months ago. The leak is just a drip now and then so I figured I would wait until I change my engine.

Hope this helps
Later Denny (dbd)

Back