Wiring info needed

MSG419

Does anyone know the gauge size of the wiring Ford used to get 12V power to the amp and sub amp on the JBL radio system?

It's the yellow 12V constant wire.

I'm installing an aftermarket amp for the sub and am wondering if this wire is thick enough - amp install instruction call for an 8 gauge wire. I'm bridging the amp and will only be putting out 130w rms.

Thanks,

Mark
'93 SC

Use what the amp mfg suggests. They know more about there product and its demands than Ford does.
Run your power lead straight from the battery to the amp.
The stock wiring is too puny to handle the current your amp will draw.

Ford sized the wires for temp rise not IR loss, so the wires are way too small for any decent amp.

Aaron

At the minimum, definately follow Mike38SC's advice. Install what the amplifier manufacturer states. But, if you want to get technical, do a search on the internet for wire gauge charts and find one that applies to car audio. I should be a type of chart for a 12V system and should have you compare length of the wire with how many amps your amplifier "could" draw at peak. That will tell you what size you should have. I have a 4 guage wire running about 14 feet or maybe a little less. My (one) amplifier states to install one 100 amp fuse inline on the power wire. So I am assuming (with CYA calculated in) that my amplifier can draw close to 80 amps at peak, at least that's what the authorized dealer told me. I'm not totally sure, but I do know that it can draw some serious power and I was going to upgrade my alternator until I found out that it's 110 amps stock. I've been running this setup for over 4 years with no hitches (knock on wood). But, I don't go around blasting my stereo any more like I used to when I was younger. My .02.

a fireman told me that amp cables are a big cause of car fires .i never gave it a thought make sure you use a good fuse

Back