fuel pump problems?

stevexr7sc

Ok, here it goes. Last month the car died while I was driving it and then would not re-start. The dealer thought it was the EEC, because of the fact that the fuel pump was staying open. So I got a new-used EEC and now they can communicate with the EEC but the fuel pump is still staying wide open?! Does anyone have any ideas? Possibly the relay, but I hope they checked that.
Thank, Steve.

Only way to know for sure is to do a complete check of the fuel system wiring and check everything seems like to me they should have done that before changing the EEC. The fuel pump relay is green and is in the trunk on the driver side wouldn't hurt to change it one more thing you could rule out. Is it possible someone has modified the pump to run all of the time when the key is on . The fuel pump runs all the time when the motor is in use anyway. I don't understand how the fuel pump running would keep the engine from starting unless you had some leaky injectors and it was flooding the cylinders.

Last edited:
fuel pump relay

is not in the trunk ...it is built into the IRCM ....along with the EEC relay..high and low fan relays ...and.....A/C wide open cutoff relay....dave

Well on a 89 T-bird supercoupe there is a relay in the trunk.

You could be right about that on a XR7 . You are not the first one to tell me I am wrong when it comes to a difference between a real T-bird super coupe and a XR7/ super couger. Racecouger and I went around and around about the IRCM (Intergrated relay control module) yes some do call it this a but others also call it a EECM ( Electronic Engine Control Module) and the EEC is know as (Electronic Engine Computer). So you very well could be right about a XR7 not having a green fuel pump relay in the trunk But MY 1989 3.8 T-bird supercoupe does. It also has a IRCM / EECM behind the passenger headlight with 24 pins on it. good luck.

all i ever had trouble with was pump i never had trouble with relay or ircm i went through 2 pumps in 212 k miles the first pump would run fine for an hour or 2 until i would stop then it would stall and start acting up shutting off

Back