Pro Street Rich- Can you fit this in an SC?

thats a clean looking engine. damn man. im pretty sure u could. you would just have to push the RADIATOR and CONDENSOR more forward. Sounds like your on to somethine. More info on this engine ???

damn man i wish i had that... well dont the SALEENs have V8 Supercharged engines also? Ima go get me one of them engines.
Thats a nice looking engine. Makes me wanna go "get" one of those engines. But imagine all the more wieght it would put on the car. DO you think it would be worth it/?

That's not the same engine that's pictured on the cover of November's HotRod magazine. The new GT-40 engine has 2 injectors per cylinder. Regardless, that engine is awesome, but I would be surprised if Ford offers that separately.

For the record: I'd find a way to make it fit!

darkstar_one said:
damn man i wish i had that... well dont the SALEENs have V8 Supercharged engines also? Ima go get me one of them engines.
Thats a nice looking engine. Makes me wanna go "get" one of those engines. But imagine all the more wieght it would put on the car. DO you think it would be worth it/?

I'd much rather put an 03 Cobra motor in than a saleen... There's a reason why stock cobra's or slightly modified ones are beating them.

That is a very nice engine, but for the extra cash you spend buying and installing one (Im sure theyre damn expensive if you can find one) you could easily make a 03 Cobra engine outperform it by a large margin. Heck most of the 110hp it has over the Cobra is probably from the Lysholm blower, just slap one of those on the cobra engine.

-Travis

Don't forget about the weight savings of the aluminum block of the GT-40. (Uless the 03 Cobra motor is aluminum too, then scratch that). The cool-factor of the GT-40 engine far out-weighs that of the Cobra engine.

Last edited:
The 03 Cobra motors have iron blocks, Ford went to those for long-term durability compared to the aluminum block used on all the previous 4.6 32V motors.

As for fitting a 5.4 32V DOHC in an MN12 car, it would take some major fabrication. I have one out of a 99 Lincoln Navigator, it's a big mutha of a motor. The width of 4.6 DOHC barely fits in an MN12 car, and the 5.4 is approx. 1-1/2" wider and taller again. Overall width of the motor is about 30". I'm envisioning spring towers being cut, and a different type of front suspension, because the stock upper control arm mounting points would be in the way I'm pretty sure. These motors are a few inches wider than a 460 big-block even. Took some measurements of the engine compartment of my 68 Cougar, which will accept a 460. The 5.4 DOHC would not go without sheetmetal hacking on that car either. Oh well, guess I'm going to have to find a Fox chassis Mustang or Fairmont to put this thing. There's some pics posted on Corral.net of a Fox Mustang with a 5.4 DOHC fed by an 88mm turbo, awesome car.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

There are one or two people over at TCCoA that have put a 5.4L in a TBird, so it can definately fit. The GT motor would be quite a job though.

If I am not mistaken the cars on TCCoA with the 5.4L are 16 valve sohc engines, not the DOHC 23valve engines. That is why they fit.

There seems to be only about an inch clearance between the shock towers and cam covers on a MN12 SOHC 4.6L. not much room.

TBone95 said:
There are one or two people over at TCCoA that have put a 5.4L in a TBird, so it can definately fit. The GT motor would be quite a job though.

Yes, those are 5.4 SOHC motors as Andy mentioned. The DOHC 32V heads are wider, so until someone proves me wrong by bolting one in, I'd say that a 5.4 DOHC is too wide to fit between the shock towers of an MN12 car.

cheers
Ed N.

89BlownBrd said:
The new car is NOT called the GT-40, it's just GT
I think your talking about the Australian GT car.
There is a GT-40 being built by SVT. it it a rear engine car made to compete with Vipers, corvettes and such. Its a bad whamy jammer!!:D :D

MIKE 38sc said:
I think your talking about the Australian GT car.
There is a GT-40 being built by SVT. it it a rear engine car made to compete with Vipers, corvettes and such. Its a bad whamy jammer!!:D :D

No, it's just Ford GT. I don't think Ford can legally call anything GT40 anymore.

Correct Ford is not calling it the GT-40 it will be the Ford GT due to licensing issues... Although I wouldn't mind having the Australian FPV GT or GT-P ;)

Well that does it!!!:mad: :mad:
I'm canceling my order first thing Monday morning!
Damn limp wrists at Ford cant even name there own car after ther own car. This world is going straight to hell!!:mad: :mad:

I don't think it's 40 inches high anymore either. Sooo.....If Ford lost rights the "GT-40" and the car is higher anyway, why not call it "GT-47" or "GT-50" or whatever.

What the hell would stop them from naming it the GT-40?
Can you patent names?
If you can I'm patenting mine Monday morning and I'll be a millionaire in week!

Not patent, trademark.

I think what happened was Ford was in so much of a rush to beat Ferrari at Lemans back in the '60's, they didn't think to trademark the Name GT-40 after they bought the car (from Lotus?).

Some company making Hi-Po parts discovered that the mane wasn't protected a couple years ago and they trademarked it. Since this other company legally owns that name in regards to the automotive world, Ford would need to pay licensing to use it. I beleive the number they threw at Ford was $40,000,000, just to use the name.

Back