*&%$&* Smog!!!!! (Kinda' long)

mikesc

After having my car not running for the last ten months, I finally got it to the point where it is running good enough that I thought I could get it smogged. Yea...I blew a head gasket New Years Eve of last year and have had a real struggle getting it to run correctly. Thinking I was going to have a real problem because of the "Visual" part of the inspection I was somewhat weary to take it in. It has all the bolt-ons w/exceptions of headers and "They" didn't say a word. So far so good. Living in Cali has some advantages but smog check isn't one of them. After the first run (pre-test) the Tech said he didn't think it passed. Now I'm thinkin' Oh Crap....Gross Polluter.....Referrees.....$$$$. After going thru the numbers HC was 46 @ 25 mph (OK!) CO was 0.11 (OK!!!) NO was 697........Passing is 696.....I missed passing by one stinkin lousy point....Son Of A Bitc%!!!! Man was I pisse$. I really don't want to take off all of the bolt-ons and was wondering if replacing the 10% OD pully (supercharger) with the stock one would help. I read somewhere on this board that pulling the octane plug would help...well I did that on the second run and it blew a 748. What would be a quick fix???

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

Mike

hmmm... run the highest octane available to you... ive read that if u can lower the fuel pressure to a point were it will run ok with out stalling and dying then u should be able to pass it. hope it helps. run some fuel injector cleaner in it also...

Smog

I've tried the fuel injector cleaner route during the test. As far as gas goes, living in the Sacramento area I am limited to 91 octane. Maybe I should run down to the local speed shop and get some 1XX octane? Could someone out there explain to me why higher octain fuel decreases chamber temp? Isn't this the major concern when you are trying to reduce NO? Would producing less boost at a given rpm produce lower temps? I'm just trying to figure this stuff out.

M

Back