any pictures of RAM AIR?

The SC doesn't "hate" a ram air set up. The simple fact is that it is very difficult to get a "ram air" setup with a fuel injected vehicle that has it's air induction designed the way the SC's is. If you can get a "fresh" air intake from the front of the car, you will be much better off than the fender. And it'll be even better if you can get that air forced into the filter. That will translate into less energy the supercharger uses to "pull" the air into the engine, and thus, more power. You may not see a great increase in power on the low end. On the high end you should see some. I don't think that you will be able to get a true ram air setup unless you are prepared to spend some seious $$ for the R&D. It would involve relocating the throttle body, MAF and redesigning the inlet plenum. It would be great to see and intirely possible, just very expensive too. I suggest some type of cold air induction fro the lower portion of the front bumper cover.

why would you have to move the TB and MAF? Why can't you just duct something up from the front bumper? Thats what I did on ym v6 mustang before I had the SC motor instlaled. I plan on making a similar type setup for the SC motor as well on my stang.

all of the turns the air has to make on it's way into the engine reduce the effect of the ram air in that method. It simply rams the air through the filter and after that, the "ram" is negated. By developing a "ram air kit" for our cars utilizing a direct path with minimal turns you'd need to relocate a lot of those items. All that you're talking about is a fresh air induction that will force air through the filter. It will pick up power. How much is to be determined. But it's still not a true ram air. That's all. I plan on doing the same with my car too. I'm not taking away from it, I just don't see it as true ram air.

Ahh I see, good point. But the design of the setup will have a large factor, if someone can design it so that the velocity of the air increases insted of decreases then it may be mnore effective. On my mustang I did not see any large gains in power or 1/4 times but I did see a 2 mph increase in my traps. That was in NA form, with a blower I bet it woudl be a little better, but then again testing and such will determine any effectiveness.

ok here ya go, it's a dumb idea that i'd never do, but if you wnat ram air...

remove pass. side headlight
cut hole and run tubing from hole to air filter

that would be direct to the filter, without any bends.

that would be just for track guys I guess cuz isn't illegal to only have 1 headlight?

It's still not a "ram air" set up though. You have to get the intake air from the outside to the supercharger in as short a route as possible. That, in effect, would require an intake that would come from directly over the supercharger (hood scoop) that would incorporate the MAF and TB with an inlet plenum that would gradually ease the air into the supercharger, (a semi circle). Also provide very, very little resistance/restriction. I've seen a design on it here on the boards, but that was months ago. I'M not sure if anything ever came of it or not. But there's a lot of little things that would add up to a big engineering headache. I don't have the equipment readily available to me at a low cost, therefore, I can't do it for cheap. It could be done, and it would be awesome if it were, but I just don't see it happening in the near future. Maybe someday, but not right now. The SC communtity does not have a large enough following to justify the expense of developing that type if intake. Whether you draw the intake from a hood scoop on the pass hood, through the light or through the bumper cover, it's still not a "ram" air setup. It is the best we have for now, but not "ram."

Oh, the headlight thing would work, if we had a tubo or cetrifigal sc instead of a roots style sc. Typically the sc/turbo would be setup around that area and would provide a "ram" effect. Bottom line is that the "ram" air setup will utilize the SHORTEST and most direct path available for air intake. Just to "ram" air into the filter is not "ram" air. Cold air, but not ram air.

And by the way, I believe that we see a greater increase in power from the cold air as opposed to the ram air. The ZR intake was designed the way it was for a reason. I don't think there was that much benefit from a ram type induction on the SC than the cold air. Unless you can get a very short, direct path of air, you're going to see a much greater gain from cold air intake than you will from the "ram" effect alone. Just my .02 though.

I Ain't Givin Up On IT!!!

Hi Guys....I am sure some of you know that i am very interested in the Ram AiR setup.....and mark my words....As a great wise man says "someday it will be mine...all mine" eh Sam Malone.....
By the way I still watch Cheers all the time!!!!!

I am still not sure how the He@# i am going to do it but......i will get it done someday!!!

I have the Ram Air Hood already on the car...and it looks sharp!!!!
My next step is to find a machinest who can make me a new inlet plenum for the blower..and then after that it should just be a bunch of brain work and relocating the MAF and the TB and Filter, which really shouldn't be too too hard....considering the Cervini's hood is raised alittle in the center!!!.....Who am i kidding, this will be harder than any other job on the car...lol

I have checked into GM and others on thier designs for Ram Air...or so they claim..but thiers is simply nothing more than forced air...like wat some of us have done already!!!

Who knows, maybe when i get it right, i can market it and make MILLIONS...hehehe

Do a search on the board. Search for intake, ram air, etc. There was a post quite a while ago, (upwards of 8 months or so) talking about the ram air setup. A pic (drawing) was included on the setup. It looked much like the "blower" setup on a carburated engine. Pretty sweet looking. Besides the plenum, I think the most difficult part will be relocating the TV cable for the AOD equiped cars. Careful attention to detail there will prevent tranny failure.The rest of it shouldn't be too bad, just hard on the checkbook! LOL

Go for the conventional set up for now while you're designing the setup you want. I know your bird's in storage--so to speak--right now and it would be a good time to work on it, but it could take you longer than you want it to. And if you're like me, I like driving my SC too much to have it down a long time for developement. That's why I'm planning on a second bird... ;)

And just for the record, the "wise" man who made the statement in my signature is none other than Mike Meyers as "Wayne" in "Waynes World" :D

Fluid Dynamics

The principal of (so called) Ram Air is: If you have a high pressure area, and a low pressure area, and you connect the two with a duct, then fluid (air) will move from the high pressure area to the low pressure area.

In the old days it was farily easy to find a high pressure area on a car. Windshields were near vertical & so were the grilles. There's your 2 high pressure areas. Newer cars are much more aero dynamic, so there is not as much "high pressure" available. Compare the windshield angles of a '67 GTO & a SC. Now compare the frontal area of a '67 GTO to an SC. It's easy to see what happened to the "high pressure"

Next we have to consider the low pressure area. In '67 the low pressure was the vacuum generated by the pistons on the intake stroke. Yeah, we still have that vacuum, but the supercharger is a big valve between the high & low pressure area.

Basically you're not going to "ram" anything past the supercharger. "Ram Air" was for carbureted engines, where the only thing between the high & low pressure area was an air filter.

Look at the Ram Air setup on a '69 Mach 1. Cold air from over the hood comes outside the air filter & into the engine. For Drag Racing, we used to remove the filter. Even then, the "shaker" hood scoop was to low in the air stream for much of a ram air effect. That's why you see some shakers with a 2" spacer under the carb. 2" puts the scoop up into the air stream (or high pressure area).

68COUGAR

WHAT TO DO ???????????????

I made one for my n/a 3.8, went to junk yard got air intakes off FORD V8,S THE OLD TYPE WHICH PICKED UP AIR IN TOP OF SPACE BETWEEN HOOD AND RADIATOR .............MOUNTED JUST UNDER FRONT BUMPER.................USED 3 IN PLASTIC DRAIN HOSE FROM HARDWARE STORE, AND FITTINGS, TEES, 45,S PIPED INTO BOTTOM OF AIR BOX, AFTER REMOVING AIR SILENCER SOMETIME HITS GROUND GOING OVER DIPS...............GARY KUNH JUST REPLACED A CUTOUT IN PASSENGER HEAD LIGHTS..CHANGES WHEN DRIVING ON STREET ...................USES PLASTIC TYES TO HOLD IN PLACE ........CHANGE CAN BE DONE IN 5 MINS OR LESS FAST FREDDIE:rolleyes: :cool: :D

Ok, you can get all technical with this but how I see it is, if you can force air in faster than the blower is able to suck it in then it will help. Not an easy thing to do with a overdriven supercharger though. What will probably happen is that it will help once you get around 80mph or so and by then the race is almost over.

i was thinking about the ZEX thing too... I was reading about it... But hmmm.... i mean.... what about the whole thing about it passing through the supercharger and through the intercooler? wouldnt that have an effect on things or what? someone let me know. Pretty sure this ZEX thing has made it on my christmas list... but i want to replace the HEAD GASKETS and OIL PAN GASKET and the VALVE covers first. My car is leaking alot of oil right now... and i dont know where its leaking through...

Damn those shakers are nice! :D I wonder if something like that could be made to fit in our cars...

With the nitrous being fed into the intake like that you'll have it going through the blower and I/C which will heat it back up some, thats the normal comment made about N2O on our cars.

hey mn12sc35th,

ummm that thing about ur name.. that statement about CHEVROLET being FRENCH for ignorant is kind of stupid. I would rather have that CHEVROLET 3.8 Super-Charged engine in the
T-BIRD SC. CHEVROLET WILL BUILD A BETTER CAR ANY DAY.
Yes i love the T-BIRD SC. I also hate it because its a FORD. How crappy the engine compartment is in this car sucks ***. If i was FORD i would have let CHEVROLET handle it. It would of been 20 times better and more reliable.

Back