Harmonic Balancer

NJTBIRD89

Whoa! This is really a pain. Any suggestions

I was on my way to get some lunch on tuesday and my car when out on me... I thought it was something simple maybe the DIS or the starter, well towed it to the garage... me and the mechanic went through the normal stuff tested the coil pack, dis, battery, plugs everything... we were stumped, until we went on the lift, Holy ***** Batman... it then dawned on my to test the crank position sensor and then i realized in my mind i think it's that **** harmonic balancer, what a rude awakening, so people any help???

what help do you need? If the balancer is broken replace it, or are you asking how to go about replacing it? If its broke you will be able to tell, Check the bolt also, some break the bolt and not the balancer. I personally have broken a balancer on a NA 3.8 motor, don't ask me how but I did.

it seems that Ford....

Ford Seems to have to different types of Harmonic balancers
for the 89 Supercoupe vin C and R and they can tell the difference
of which belongs to which

C= Duracast Crankshaft

The first '89 SC's manufactured up until/into April of '89 (there is a cutoff date but I don't remember it) were C code engines and use a different balancer.

MIKE 38sc said:
Jim, VIN C engines were not Duracast 3.8 SC motors.
They are 5.0 V8's.

I retract this statement!
I looked it up again and the 5.0's were VIN T.
VIN C motors are 3.8's and according to my manual VIN C motors were available in 89 and then were not available again until 92.
Since Duracast cranks were not produced for very long I dont think VIN C means Duracast because they werent made in 92.

So GentleMan should i go with the Ford Rubber Aluminum Harmonic Balancer (275.00) or the one from BHJ Dynamics Steel via SCP(360.00)

get the Ford balancer from an online dealer, alot cheaper:

159.80 from FordPartscheap.com

CLick here

Other dealers can be found at Parts.com

Use part number: E9SZ6B321C

Ask SCP or Paul at BTM, what are their prices for the BHJ balancers. See the Group buy section for info.

In '89 C = Duracast and R = Sumitomo Forged

Initially, '89 SC's came with the Duracast crankshaft. I don't know what the reintroduced C code represents. Despite the rumors of their porosity and weakness, the truth is that the Duracast cranks simply couldn't be supplied in sufficient quantities to support assembly line production and Ford turned to Sumitomo to supply the forgings. Not sure who did the final machining though. Hence, there are two balancers available for the '89. There are also rumors of a few R code cars getting the last of the C code engines. Just curious, but doesn't the balancer coming off have a part No. on it? Also, it has been pointed out that the cast crankshaft can be identified by the flashing lines formed 180 degrees apart by the molds.

Point of interest: The Sumitomo raw (unmachined) forging used to be available from the Ford Motorsport Catalog, at least as far back as '92. It could have been machined to support at least 4.2L. How many of us would like to get their hands on one of those babies now?

I do beleive you are right about the C designation Jim as the C motor is also listed to have the same HP and Torque ratings of the R engine.

The thing that really piss's me off is the poor documentation of this engine. Ford isnt inocent of this either by any means!
You have to have 4-5 different manuals and then you have cross refference everything and then try to figure out what the truth is, then to top it off Ford wont even mention some stuff in there manuals. Hell no wonder noone wants to work on this car!

Thats interesting that Sumitomo made the raw forgings.
I think we need to stop the rice comments on this site because we have no room to talk! Theres about as much rice in this car as a box of Uncle Bens. :rolleyes:

i tried to get a ford one they said not available i tried online and local dealer i ended up getting a used one not recommended

I geuss I'll just keep the new one I have then, I was thinking about selling it. Now I'm starting to think about selling the whole car when I get it finished. Since Ford is obsoleteing parts as fast as they can hell its gonna be impossable to keep one runing.
The aftermarket dont make many parts for this car as it is and most of the ones they do are crap!!:mad: :mad:

I bought a brand new harmonic balancer from ford for my 91 sc automatic and here are the # that are on it : E9SE-CA 94E 8. On the pulley the # is E9SE-6312-CB. Can someone reference these # for me because the dealer seemed to be really confused about the supercoupe but did order it out of the catalog. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.

I just bought one and installed it.

Part is E9SZ-6B321-C

Mike38sc check your number again I'm sure it's a B not an 8

Part is E9SZ-6B321-C

This # is correct. I looked at mine again and and yes it is a B instead of an 8. The printing is kinda fuzzy on my label but it is in fact a B.

That should be the # you need as well.

Back