t5 tranny

RandenSC

Where can i get ahold of a t5 tranny, has anyone recently put in a t5. I have a 89 sc and really dont like the hydrolic clutch. If this is a bad idea or good idea someone tell me their thoughts.
thanks in advance

Well, finding a T-5 should be one of the easier tasks to take on because Ford made about(not sure on actual numbers) 250,000,000 Mustangs. I'm sure there is a Mustang junkyard in your town or around your town that has plenty of them. One thing I learned from this club is that a stock T-5 can't take the torque that a M5R2 can. There are plenty of upgrades you can do to a T-5 though to make it tough enough. The T-5's are a smoother shifting tranny also. In my opinion this would be a great way to go.

A T5 should work just fine. It can handle the torque from a stock SC just fine Stock 5.0's have 300 Ft/lb and Stock SC's i believe have 318 Ft/lb's Im not sure if its a bolt in or not but I know that if you put one in dont go power shifting with it cause it wont hold up.

goto stangnet.com and post on their fourms if u wont to know more about the t5

If the T-5 could handle the torque of the SC, do you really think Ford would go through the expense and trouble of designing the M5R2, rather than just tacking on couple thousand more units to their millions of T-5's?

Worst thing about the T5 "upgrade" is the overall lenght is shorther then M5R2, so the shifter sits about where the radio is. Rich over at MN-12 Performance has developed a shifter extention to correct this problem, so unless you can fab, you will need one of them. Also be aware that all T-5 are not equal. The 4 cyl T5 are much weaker and have different gear ration then the V8 T5's out of the stangs and the early/mid 80's are weaker then the later years. Of course this is all in stock shape. The last year of the T5 in the Stang was 95, in '96 in went the T45 and now I think the T3550 is what the stag is using.

Some have stated that the T5 out of the early 90 F-Body GM cars will fit with out the extention, so that might be an option, but verify first before purchasing one.

Im just saying the T5 is fine for the SC they probably used the M5R2 because it fit better. Plenty of guys use T5 on there drag cars and such so y wouldnt it be able to handle the torque of a SC which isnt much higher of most V8's.

.02 cents

a stock t5 will hold the torque of a stock SC. but the m5r2 will hold more torque overall. in other words stock for stock, the m5r2 is a stronger tranny, and will hold more modified engine power. i think ford is using a t56 6speed in the 03 cobra, now thats a tranny.

You can get a built T-5 for 800-1000 bucks from Summit Racing. Which is about the cost for a rebuilt M5R2. I would go with one from Summit.

Tremec 3650

now I think the T3550 is what the stag is using

Actually the new Stangs are using a Tremec 3650, not the 3550. I checked into it when I was considering buying a new Mach 1.

68COUGAR

Physics

Plenty of guys use T5 on there drag cars and such so y wouldnt it be able to handle the torque of a SC which isnt much higher of most V8's.

The Stang is a lot lighter car. It takes more TQ to get a heavy car moving that it does a light car. At stock 5.0 hp/TQ level, even the World Class T-5 is barely hanging on. That is why so many stang owners have ripped them in half.

Now if you want a T-5 that will handle 600 hp, then this is what you want to get:

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

68COUGAR

Re: Tremec 3650

68COUGAR said:
Actually the new Stangs are using a Tremec 3650, not the 3550. I checked into it when I was considering buying a new Mach 1.

68COUGAR

I think you are right about that, but the COBRA's run a T-56 6-speed I thought. GT's and Mach 1's have a 5-speed. Anyway, I know this isn't a Mustang forum, I'm just trying to get my facts straight.

Andy 94SC said:
If the T-5 could handle the torque of the SC, do you really think Ford would go through the expense and trouble of designing the M5R2, rather than just tacking on couple thousand more units to their millions of T-5's?

Ford did not "design" the M5R2. It was an existing Mazda Truck transmission. I don't know why they went that route instead of making a new tailhousing for the T-5 but I'll bet it was money. Mazda probably made the mods to the M5R2 for considerably less than Tremec or Borg-Warner would have to the T-5.

t-5's really aren't that great of a transmission. I had one in my basically stock stang and it was rebuilt 3 times in just as many years(my brother owned the car before me). If you are going to go to the trouble of converting your car to a mustang-style transmission, check out the tremec transmission, or a 3650. Just my .02

Edit:
one thread over at stangnet

Last edited:
Correct me if wrong here, but doesn't the use of a t5 still require the hydrolic clutch assembly with use of a stang clutch/flywheel. The mustangs clutch pedal allembly starts on the left, and exits on the right, through the firewall. I would think it would be a pain to run a clutch cable , and to find one long enough at that.

Re: Tremec 3650

68COUGAR said:

68COUGAR

I know it was a T3XX0, but was just guessing from memory.

Juice Clutch Adapters

There is a really KEWL hydraulic clutch slave cyclinder that you can use when converting to a T-5.

But if the whole idea is getting rid of the juice clutch, then it'll probably take a custom made cable, not to mention clutch quadrant. Cable clutches have their own quirks that have to be addressed.

68COUGAR

Any problems that anyone is having with an M5R2 are due to external problems not related to the over-all design. The hydraulic clutch kicks butt actually.

And rebuilding the tranny is a do-it-yourself job for anyone with a sense of adventure. I have yet to see a tranny that needed any more than a few blocker rings, seals and a shim or two. Parts should not cost more than $100 and are readily available. A press makes the job easier, but you can do it without any really special tools.

I'm not going to say that it is the greatest tranny in the world, nor am I going to say that the T5 is bad. But IMO there is no need to go swapping stuff out. Fix what you have properly and it really is a decent setup.

What world do you live in? I broke 4 M5R2's and each time they were totaled. Shift linkage broke, and destroyed every gear in the tranny. Second one I broke the main shaft and every gear. Thrid one was 2nd and 3rd gear syncros and blocker, along with cuts in eace gear cluster. 4th one had the same problems.

I drove the car hard but not hard enough for the tranny to go out like this. Most of the bills were in the 1700 to 2500 dollar range because of the broken clusters. I found a company that made a higher performance M5R2 for 800 bucks. I put that one in and have had no problems since. Either way the M5R2 is the only manual transmission I have ever broken. I would certainly put my money into a T-5 before using another M5R2. I almost never see any of my friends having problems with the T-5.

Higher performance M5R2???

1badSC: Which company do you refer to that built you a higher performance M5R2 for $800 ? I would think that many a 5-speed owner in need of a rebuild would find this to be a stark raving deal if they knew that they were getting a slicker shifting and stronger tranny out of the deal...

You're the Expert

Dave, if anybody knows M5R2's it's you.

You're the only 5'spd in the 12's.

Do you need any early model parts? I have a 5-spd with a trashed input & mating gear. Every thing else is good.

68COUGAR

Back