No Overdrive!?

laroof

Can't use overdrive, please help!

When i have my 91 sc in overdrive at about 42-45 mph where overdrive usually kicks in, i give it gas and the engine just revs up and acts as if it were in neutral. Just started one day while driving on the highway. Anyone experienced this problem before or have any suggestions?
Thanks
Brandon

Last edited:
can it be your low on TRANS FLUID? How many miles does ur SC have on it. Maybe you need to start saving up and shop around for a rebuild. chances are your tranny is on its death bed. I recommend a rebuild if thats whats necessery with a SHIFT KIT. Will make your life easier.

Yea, that was the first thing i tried, adding tranny fluid, no luck though. My sc has 133,000 miles on it and things have been starting to go bad lately. I refuse to get rid of it though. What is the benefit of a shift kit?

I pulled my perfect working 5.0 engine and AOD trans when I put in a 392 stroker and Lentech Street Terminator trans. You can come pick it up for $100. No shipping... For $200, you can pick up the engine, trans, and torque converter.

your overdrive band is shot. soon it will spread like cancer and you will lose all of the gears. i am living that nightmare right now. you need a rebuild. i am going to have mine rebuilt with a shift kit and 2" kevlar OD band. buying a used tranny will only buy you time until that one fails. trust me. i have had 3 AODs in one car (1 ford rebuild, and a used crown vic AOD). and this will be my second in this car. i took the cheap way out in the past. now i'm gonna build it right. the shift kit will shorten your shifts and make them feel firmer. the shorter your shifts, the cooler the tranny stays. fluid changes every 30k miles should help also.

Make shure if you're going to get a used tranny, that it's from another sc/xr7. regular n/a bird/cougars have weaker internals. I bought a tranny out the back of a moving shop for 300. from their performance area, tranny died at about the 3000 mile mark. I think it was for a n/a motor. when I dropped the pan, tons of metal shavings. My symptoms were as follows. Cruising about 120-130 4000rpm in od, speedo pegged. car drops from OD. I knew right away what happened. So I make it to citgo about a mile from home. Check all fluids, all look fine. Accept fact of blown od. Go into reverse, it's gone, go into first, and hear this grinding noises during acceleration, tranny skips second, straight into drive. pop shifter back down to 1, still stays in drive. That officially ruined my night. Be sure to have the trans done right the first time, and spend the extra cash to have it made a little better than stock.

Back