How much could I sell this for?

89BlownBrd

I've got an engine for an SC that I completely rebuilt, all new bearings, seals, gaskets, lifters, rings, all that stuff. It's a complete long block, oil pan, intake manifold, new water pump, injectors, and fuel rails. How much do you think I could sell it for? TIA

I think this might be the wrong forum for this thread. Might get better responses in the NON tech forum.

Thomas

Michael Mattix said:
What year of engine, 89-93 or 94-95? Pics too?

It's an 89-93

100_0410.jpg

100_0645.jpg

100_0650.jpg

Don't want to seem like an a$$hole, but I would have serious doubts about an engine if the builder did not take the time to mask off anything prior to painting.

Aaron

Holy Crap !! It looks you got a little carried away with the spray paint. I've never seen anyone paint their valve springs and exhaust valves before. Don't be suprised if the valve stem seals start leaking, because you painted the stems. BTW, your cam shaft position synchronizer assy is installed about 120 degrees off of where it should be.

David

Last edited:
WOW, holy paint!

Like the color, but you should have definatley masked things off. I painted mine, and took a little extra time to mask off the top of the block. Also coated it twice with high temp primer, removed all sensors/wirings. Here's a partial assembled pic.
1.jpg

wtf???

Wow...That is one way to get the paint job outta the way...Fuel rail, EXH ports/vlvs/springs/everything else...Good luck with that.

And yea the Water pump pulley looks pretty damn funny like that...

Throw that bad rascal in the Smurfmobile and hold on...:D

May as well paint the car too....No tape or nuttin' just shake that can and get busy...LOL...You may wanna try a roller on the car, alot less overspray and chit...

Brad

You haven't supplied enough info for anyone to give you a serious answer. From the info and pictures you posted it appears as if you did not do any machine work on the block, which leads me to also believe you didn't do anything to the crankshaft and several other key areas.

Since you don't mention it, I'll also assume you didn't have the heads reworked, didn't purchase a new balancer & bolt, didn't replace the cam shaft bearings, didn't replace the timing chain and tensioner assy, didn't rebuild or replace the oil pump and didn't use new head bolts.

The fact that the cam position sensor is way off , the water pump pulley is on backwards and you painted things that should not be painted, raises the question of other things that may have been done wrong. Please fill in some of these blanks and I'll be glad to give you a serious answer.

David

You really don't have anything to get bant out of shape over. You posted pics and asked for opinions. People are posting comments that you should really consider.

No one in their right mind is going to buy that as a running engine. At best it is spare parts, or a core for another rebuild. It is a valid point to wonder about other aspects of the engines assembly when looking at all that paint in places it shouldn't be. It is not just apperances, I see paint in several places that can cause lots of trouble.

As pointed out the paint on the valve stems isn't good for the stem seals. Paint on the springs, heads, etc is probably going to flake off and run through the oil of the engine, plugging things up, or gouging the crap out of things. Sensors shouldn't be painted, neither should injectors. Paint on the mating surface of the block will cause trouble with the headgaskets. Paint down the intake manifold, in the spark plug holes isn't good either.

Then there are obvious assembly problems, such as the cam sensor bass-ackwards, the waterpump pulley is just comical, and are you missing a core plug on the driver's side head? Paint in there too. This engine will have paint chips floating through every fluid it has.

Seriously, that needs to be taken completely back apart and reworked before it is used. That's the advice, don't call that an engine. Be thankful all this was pointed out before someon went through the trouble of installing it to try and use it. Chalk this up as a learning experience.

LOL

I thought the water pump pulley looked funny but I didn't realize what was wrong with it.......I can't believe that I did not see that, that's too funny :D :D :D

ROTF:D

Well, I personally would have paid like $900-$1000 for it, but only if the water pump was paint-matched to the rest of the motor. Without that, it's not worth more than maybe $50.

You guys are all wrong about this engine....

That is NOT paint you are looking at but rather a high performance anit-frictive, heat resistant engine parts coating. The fact that it is blue is just a result of the high cobalt content.

It is GOOD that this guy had the decency and right frame of mind to coat the valve springs, stems and intake/exahust ports.

It will go a long way toward reducing exhaust port temps and valve stems will be more resistant to bending or cracking due to the heat resistant coating. ALso the coating is beneficial on the fuel lines as well due to the fact that they won't absorb heat from the engine compartment and will allow the engine to inject cool fuel from the gas tank.

I hope that he makes sure to coat the head and block mating surfaces, it will seal the head to the block like superglue and headgasket problems will be a thing of the past, even at 20psi boost on 87 octane fuel.

Oh, and like I told you before, blue is the FASTEST color to use on the engine. It's easily worth 20hp over other colors. You never want to paint an engine red due to the fact that it looks faster than what it really is traveling and often times gets pulled over by the cops before it is able to make maximum torque at the dyno. But the blue... well those colors just zip right past smokey.

Re: You guys are all wrong about this engine....

Deep6 said:
That is NOT paint you are looking at but rather a high performance anit-frictive, heat resistant engine parts coating. The fact that it is blue is just a result of the high cobalt content.

It is GOOD that this guy had the decency and right frame of mind to coat the valve springs, stems and intake/exahust ports.

It will go a long way toward reducing exhaust port temps and valve stems will be more resistant to bending or cracking due to the heat resistant coating. ALso the coating is beneficial on the fuel lines as well due to the fact that they won't absorb heat from the engine compartment and will allow the engine to inject cool fuel from the gas tank.

I hope that he makes sure to coat the head and block mating surfaces, it will seal the head to the block like superglue and headgasket problems will be a thing of the past, even at 20psi boost on 87 octane fuel.

Be careful......some people might actually take that seriously :D

Back