engine swap question

Weikkola

Well my motor has a bad knock in the bottom end, I want to pull it and do a rebuild over the winter.
My questions is I have a standard 3.8 out of a 92 can I simply drop it in or do i need to change alot of other things? I am only doing this so I can take my time while rebuilding my other engine.
My car is a 91 SC.

Thx for any help.

It could be done but talk about a major pain in the ***!!!!
Some of the sensors are not the same. The ECU is not the same....I mean by the time you got it done your SC engine would be ready.....no wait, it wouldnt either because you would have spent all your time trying to get the NA motor to work and wouldnt have time to work on the SC motor.

all the sensors on the SC motor were identical to my 94 3.8 mustang motor. Some were in different locations but I just ahd to length the wires. The NA motors have less sensors then the SC though, we do not have a knock sensor or oil pan sensor, so I just left those alone, I was using my mustang wiring harness on the SC motor so I couldn't hook those two sensors up, also used the mustang EEC. Oh one other thing is the crank sensor was differnt as well, the mustang crank sensor is the same as the 94-95 SC's so I just used a front cover and sensor from my stang and all is well.

He may get away with using the bottom end of the NA motor but would run into problems finding an external balanced balancer with the proper crank sensor.

Sprout, What did you do about the IAT and BAP sensors?
Since the NA motor uses a MAP sensor instead of a BAP how would the comp interpet that info?:confused:

Back