top speed-205???

I don't mean to sound like a smart butt, and please don't think that I am, but does that look like a stock SC in that picture?

Thomas

it just has a lower front air dam to keep air from getting under it i think, and narrow tires for less rolling resistance. stock chassis, engine and driveline i think. it says top speed of production sedan class II and i think that mean stock sedan. not for sure though.

Well, with these cars it wouldn't be physically possible to hit that kind of speed with stock gears, and the stock driveshaft would let go well before the 200mph mark. That would be just a couple of things.

Thomas

If that is the same tests they used when the Mark VIII first came out and they got it to do 198 or something along those lines, then you are allowed to replace a few things, such as the driveshaft and tires... can't remember what else, the engine and transmission needs to stay the same, but I think they may be able to change the rearrend gearing.

Roush Engine

That car had a Roush prepared engine w/ an M112 blower. There is a picture out there somewhere that shows what's under the hood and it definitely doesn't look stock!

Last edited:
If you read closely it says "stock BODIED sedan". It doesn't state that the drivetrain is stock. Kind of like NASCAR is STOCK car racing, yeah, sure.

well

i talked to a buddy of mine that knows about the sand flat high speed stock runs, and he said the only things you can do is make it lower so air cant get under the car, put skinnies for no rolling resistance, and put in a stronger drivetrain behind the tranny. he said hes not sure if you can put in different rear end gears, but i guess you can if you can rebuild it. But that is the stock engine and tranny.

oh

but what is the top speed for a stock5 speed with 2.73s. it seems like it would be higher than 145 considering the 210 HP and 315 ft. lbs. and its only running a low to mid 15. i was thinking like 160 with those numbers.

roughly

About 150mph for the 5-speeds with 2.73 gears. Some 5-speed guys who have done calculated high speed runs have reported a bit more, others have reported a little bit less.

Overall though at those speeds with the stock engine, the car becomes drag limited. Add HP, reduce weight, improve aerodynamics and the car's top speed will improve.

My 95 would pull around 144 mph when it was pretty much stock, and still had 2.73 gears ... 3900 rpm in 5th, or 4900 in 4th.

cheers
Ed N.

After racing a 500sl on teh way to Carisle this year I can attest my 94 SC with stock gears not only pins my speedo but keeps going...He hit his speed limiter and I just kept pulling away...My cars pretty dam low and perhaps the 94 front end is more aerodynamic;O)..My motor mods had nothing to do with it haha

Back