Where to find a 36MM deep socket for rear hub nut?

lrsudog

These nuts are on at 250 ft lbs! Who carries a 36MM deep well 1/2 drive socket?

Or does anyone have an alternate suggestion?

Autozone! Doh!

I just ordered one from JC Whitney for the same price. Oh well.

Mike, I bought that darn Standard 36mm this morning from Sears (Along with a really cool clamp/inductive mini multi meter!), but the threaded part of my splined half shaft thingamajig is to damned long for it to bite into the nut without slipping off. It definately needs a deep well on my car.

Am I unlucky, or were you lucky?

BTW, who do I smack at Ford for putting the rear dust shield bolts in with thread lock compound? It's a freaking Aluminum casting. Haven't they heard of anti-sieze? Sheesh! An couldn't they have spaced them further out so I could at least get a socket on them?

Sorry for the rant. Damn Ford retarded fastener engineers.;)

Hmmmmm........Thats odd about your axle threads.......no wait a minute, thats perfectaly normal on this car. What was I thinking?
I agree with you about all the crazy crap Ford did to this car, there is several of there engineers I would like to punish for the rest of there lives by making them work on what they designed for 8 hours a day until they die.

I once had a conversation with SVT's Tom Scarpello(spelling) about the engineering nightmares on this car, this is what he had to say.
Part of the problem with this car stems from the fact that Ford never had all the engineering people in one place to work together on it. The engineers were scattered all over the place comunicating with each other by teleconfrence, phone and internet. He said the process did'nt work that well and I have to agree, it certainly explains alot of the stupid stuff I've seen on this car!

Now I dont know for sure thats true but thats what Tom said and he's in a better posistion to know than I.

Engineering by teleconference! It figures.

GM makes some pretty soul less cars, but they partly make up for it by being so simple to wrench on.

Back