Electrical Problem (car stumbles)

Mike Combs

I have a 1991 Ford Thunderbird (non-SC V6).

I will be driving and the car will feel like the ignition shutdown for a split second. Especially when many electrical items are on. It seems to do it more when the brakes are applied, but it does it under accelleration too. The (aftermarket) stereo turns off and back on every time this happens, but doesn't reset. The car never stalls, but it does loose all power for a split-second.

It seems that I am getting a constant positive and ground. I assume the problem relates to the ACC curcuit.

Things I feel may be the problem:
1. Ignition switch or wiring harness
2. ACC relay (if there is one??)
3. A positive wire is grounding

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Clean your battery posts and clamps with steel wool and see if the problem persists. It could also be the ignition switch. It was recalled and if you didn't have it done, it could be the problem.

I have already cleaned and roughed-up the battery post connections, along with the wirning harnesses going to the alternator and stater solenoid connections.

I'll try a ignition switch next.

Thanks

I had the exact problem. As described here....

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34801

The car would die for a split second too. It ended up being a loose connection at the round relay box mounted to the driver fender well near the battery. I tightened that up, and it fixed all the problems you've described. I dont know if the N/A models have this part, so good luck. I bet its a loose connection.

Also I will go back and update this solution to my problem in that thread. I would encourage you to do so also, if and when you figure out your problem. So many threads get left unresolved. this will help others using the search button.

Brandon

Back