Fuel pressure / gauges

pearl95sc

What's the fuel pressure supposed to read @ idle. I need to set my adjustable regulator. Also, where should the pressure be @ under boost conditions?

What's the easiest way to get one of those pressure gauges that connects to the schrader valve on the fuel rail? I've been searching and coming up empty handed. Or would it be better to get one of the bigger ones that go in the pillar pods.

With vacuum hose removed from regulator it should be set to 39-40 psi. With hose attached it will drop several psi, how much will depend on the amount of vacuum your engine pulls. Mosts SCs will show around 35 psi with the hose on at idle.

The regulator is supposed to increase fuel pressure 1 psi for every pound of boost added to maintain the 40 psi above manifold pressure. So if your getting 10 pounds of boost you should also be getting 50 psi of fuel pressure.

If you just want the gauge to set or test the pressure, autozone sells a test gauge for about $35. If you want to monitor the fuel pressure inside the car, I would reccomend the autometer full sweep electric gauge pictured below. It's pretty spendy but very accurate and responds quickly. It's part #3363 and I bought it from Summitt.

atm-3363.jpg

David

Last edited:
I already have the regular style gauge, about 3 1/2 in gauge with the bleeder valve for testing purposes. I'm more interested in the small one that sits directly on the schrader valve itself. I've thought about the one for in the car, but I'm probably gunna go with a boost, temp, & oil press. in a pillar tripod. I'm running out of room and don't want things looking tacky and out of place. Thanks for the info on the pressure settings.

Back