spark plug wires

Probably not, but other tuning issues can. If the wires are bad they will act up more under full load.

With some mods it is totally possible that the motor is running in closed loop under boost. Mine was closed loop up to 10psi before making some adjustments to the EEC Tuner file. I don't like the idea of the computer trying to maintain 14.7:1 A/F ratio at 10psi boost. I set mine to go into open loop at just under 5psi.

Could be your load calculations are off. Might be time for a "tune" of some sort.

Do you know where i can get (or borrow) an EEC tuner for a reasonable price (if there is a such thing)?

I think these cars are prone to detonation as they get older, the factory settings can't keep up with the changes, especially if the SC is modded. I'm starting to have pinging issues again. I don't have EGR and i have installed a brand new fuel pump about 8 months ago. Also recently replaced most of the related sensors that control fuel and spark. i would like to nip this before getting into the head gasket monster zone. pinging is like the "danger will robinson" warning for the SC.

thanks-

Last edited:
The tuners run $350-400, not exactly a reasonable price. It's not that the computer can't keep up with the mods, it's just that once you start changing injectors and MAF meters all too often we end up lying to the computer which results in misinformation. Maybe we mean the same thing. Anyway, the tuner also requires that you have to be able to manipulate the tables accurately. If you aren't comfortable with that then a custom chip is probably the way to go. They run about the same price with a dyno tune.

You can't borrow a tuner either, it has to be permanently attached to the EEC. Once you remove it, all modifications to the operating program go with it.

Back