1989 v-6 thunderbird conversion

G

gfg123

is it possible to put a supercoupe supercharger into a regular 1989 thunderbrird v6? if so how much would it cost for parts and labor?

Sure you can. If you want to do it right though there's a few more parts you'll need... like the entire engine.

The SC motors are purpose built meaning they're built for use with a supercharger. They have lower compression ratios than the N/A 3.8L. You can stick a blower on your motor and it will probably haul a$$ for a few days then KABOOM! No more motor.

What you're thinking of is probably the centrifugal blowers they stick on the 'Stangs. Those only put out like 3 or 4 lbs of boost. The SC blowers put out around 10 in stock form. Way too much for a N/A block.

Best bet it to find a 5.0L or a complete SC motor with all the bits and pieces to make it work. If you're close to Montana I've got one, otherwise check the classifieds on here. I think with everyone on here we can find you a motor pretty much anywhere in the US... maybe even Canada.

My advice is to get the whole car. If your going to go through the trouble of swapping a N/A V6 for the SC V6, try to find an entire car - one that has been wrecked but engine/tranny is ok or one that blown headgaskets.

If you get the entire car, you'll have every piece to do the swap, including any other wiring harnesses, computer, etc. Just my advice - take it for what it's worth.. I'd say about 50 cents :D

-Andy "Melon"

There is sooo much more then meets the eye to prolly do this swap. I assume by your first post that you would be paying someone do to this. For the cost of parts and labor, you would be better off finding a nice Super Coupe and buying the a new car. Seriously, I'd expect to pay at least $2500 in labor, if you could find someone to do it.

Thomas

it would be better and cheaper just to buy a running sc then to do a swap.too much crap to swap.better to buy a sc then do all that swapping and then it doesn't run or something then having to go back and firguring what's messed up.i did a 4 banger mustang into a 5.0(brakes,fuel,engine,suspension,computer) and it was easy.but i wouldn't attempt the sc

Back