Hey I got a problem . A FRAM oil fliter.

stocker 89

The guy behind the counter says. That Ph8a is the right oil filter. Will it work. The ref manuel says it takes a P3600 it is smaller.

Which is correct the PH8A or the P3600 Which kind do you reccomend?

That would be the ok filter if you have a 5.0 in that bird I think the P3600 is right I use a ford one so I'm not a 100% sure.

It is 3.8 sc R code.

So I guess i will need the P 3600.

It looks like it would screw on ok but I was wondering about clearence issues the PH8A is wider .

Hey Stocker, the oil filter is the p3600. I dont know how the ph8a would fit its quite a bit wider and there isnt that much clearence like you said. I got mine from Autozone thats what they called for and i remember it was identical to the old one i pulled off. Bye

DON'T USE FRAM FILTERS!!!!!!!!!

The filter has a really crappy drain back valve and causes dry start ups and low oil pressure at cranking. The best ones are WIX and STP and Purolator. This was from a very serious test done by and indepentant company on oil filters. The Frams are horrible and cost a lot. Get the Motorcraft or STP and change oil every 2500 miles. You thank yourself for it!!!!!!

Don

Everytime I think I'm out. geeesha ya

Well DON I sure am glad you told me. Thanks . Do you really think WIX are the best I do have a WIX fuel filter. OK I go with a WIX or motorcraft whichever one I can find . Anyone know those part #s.

I pulled my throttle position sensor off and all I got was a code.

I'll second that, not just because I sell Motorcraft filters. ;)

If you ever get the chance to see a crappy Fram filter cut open, compared to something good like the other brands mentioned, the amount and quality of filter paper material would scare you ... your riding mower doesn't even deserve filters that bad. :D

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

when i tried to use the fram p3600, i had a hard time trying to twist it in perfectly. I took it out and just stuck to my usually mobile 1 oil filter (M9). It cost more, but its great.

Mobil 1 filters (MI-209 synthetic) are nice, but atleast $9-10 and very hard to find. The Motorcraft & Purolator Pure One's (paper) are the same & the Motorcraft is usually cheaper in my area ($3.99 v. $5.99). If you can find them, the other 2 good synthetic filters are the AC Delco Gold (UP-400A I think) & Hard Driver (HD-7), for about $7.

Hey, just trying to help.....

Used to constantly use the Fram Filters until the study I saw and the advice of an engineer that knows fluid dynamics. Frams were supposed to be great...who knew since the price usually dictates the quality.

Go with Wezar and the others and go with Wix or Napa or Purolator....Can't go wrong.....

Also, many part stores will give you wrong parts if you tell them "Thunderbird 3.8" always know your Engine code.

Don

:D

Not to throw a wrench into things, but I have heard bad things about WIX as well. They trap the smallest particles, however that also means they clog the fastest.

I have almost always used Motorcraft, the part number is fl400 or fl400-s.

The first time I changed the oil on the SC I used a "hard Driver" filter though. It would not stay on, every day it would be loose and I was down a quart or two. after three days of retightening I put a Motorcraft on and never looked back.

fram filters

DO NOT USE A FRAM FILTER PERIOD !!!!! they are crap! almost nothing inside of them and i've seen more than one occasion of an engine losing oil pressure due to a faulty fram filter. also the PH8A is too big, it will not fit the 3.8 , i dont know what the correct fram would be because like i said , DO NOT USE A FRAM FILTER PERIOD!!! WIX or NAPA (same as Wix) are the best in my opinion, i've seen quite a few filters cut open including Motorcraft and Purolator, and WIX has the most filter media and metal endcaps (not cardboard like fram) and a coil pressure spring, not just a piece of rusty tin..... the NAPA part number is 1516 and the Wix number is 51516.

i believe FRAM is a low cost oil filter for the home mechanic with not much experience. I dont believe most consumers who go into AUTOZONE would wanna pay 10+ dollars for an oil filter. Also FRAM is used alot in AUTO SHOPS. Saves money and does a half assed job of cleaning out oil. Buy hey. If the consumer doesnt know. The consumer wont be hurt. I use K&N oil filter and i like it alot. I like it mostly because of the K&N sign. muahahah..

but seriously thought. For HIGH PERFORMANCE vehicles like the SC. You might as well go the extra mile and get something better.

Back