TPS and cam sensor

daivd z

My check engine light has been comming on and off for the past few weeks and I had to codes pulled at auto zone today. The guy didnt really know how to read the thing right I dont think. But there was a 214 and something else. One said it was the TPS and the other was the cam sensor i think. My car has felt like it has lost some power over the last week or so. Could any of these things be the problem? Also where would be a good place to get replacements?

If you got code 214...

It's the Camshaft Position Sensor although code reads "cylinder Identification problem"...~$34 at Autozone and about 30 minutes to replace. 2 screws off and on. Just did it...had same problem.

BTW - Code reader at Walmart for about $24 bucks...go get one and check it out yourself.

Well lets see.... A 214 is "Distributorless Ignition System Cylinder Identification circuit failure". Which can be interpreted as a bad cam sensor. Its also possible that a connection is bad, or some wires are bad. If your cam sensor is on the way out, you should have some hard starts, no starts, and an occasionaly dead or wavering tach as well as hard bucking under load.
If you're seeing all this, then if it were me, I would replace the cam sensor. The TPS is probably not a problem. Its part of the test where you're suppose to push on the gas pedal which I'll bet didn't happen. The TPS really only tells the EEC that you're at full throttle.
Hope this helps.:D

it has had to crank over a few more times than usual the past few starts. but there is no bucking under load. If the TPS is bad would it be reducig the power due to it not thinking its a WOT?

Back