Supercoupe problems

jermenheinder

i have an 89' sc that i have been having some problems with. it's an auto and whenever it is in park or neutral it revs to about 3,000 rpms and drops back down to about 2, still way too high. it's fine in drive it just revs in park and neutral. any suggestions?

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. I forget the name of the part but when you turned the engine off, I got a noise that sort of sounds like a goose coming from my throttle body. Do you get this same sound?

I beleive what your referring to is the IAC Valve up neat the TB. Hooked on the side. Mine went bad and did the same thing. The part ran be about 80 bucks I THINK (years ago) and you have to get it through fords becuase the aftermarket ones are backwards.

IAC

I got mine at Advance Auto Parts, was somewhere around 30 bucks. Mine wasnt backwards...maybe I got lucky...since your around that area, replace the Throttle Position Sensor, the IAC covers it and if I remember correctly the IAC is a PITA to remove...i was a newbie on the car too...anyway, to make a long story short, while your replacing the IAC, do the TPS as well...

stephen

Back