m5r2 rebuild kit?

Wally88

I need to find a rebuild kit for my 5-speed. 2nd gear is wasted. Any help in locating one would be appreciated. Thanks, Jesse.

The F150 used the M5R1 which is different in many ways although very similar in most.

Southern Gear has rebuild kit for the M5R2. Not sure what you mean by "trashed", but syncros and shims run about $100 which is all you probably really need.

If you have trashed your 1-2 selector ring and gear you are in serious trouble. Ford has discontinued them. Contact us on the Ontario Board, Ed(club pres) know how to order them from Mazda and they have to come from Japan.

how would I be able to tell what went wrong? right now, it is grinding when I up and down shift into 2nd. it is worse at higher speeds/rpms, and not as bad at lower. all the help so far has been great, thanks guys. Jesse.

southern gear

southern gear's e-mail is messed up. I e-mailed them 2 times and both were returned???

Is there a way to rebuild a trans and at the same time convert it to the late model gear ratios? Mine needs syncros and instead of rebuilding it, I figured I would just look for a later model M5R2 to replace it with because of the more desireable gear ratios. But if it's possible to change the ratios when rebuilding, I may just to that.

Jesse, just call them. If you continue to grind the gears you will damage the selector rings. This does not render them useless, but will result in notchier shifting. As Les said, they are not only hard to get but expensive also.

Dan, to change the gears you need an idler shaft and 1,2,and 3rd gears. All other parts are interchangeable. I have no idea if they are available or how much they'd cost. It certainly can be done if you can source the parts.

I have a PARTS early model 5-spd

The input gear & the gear it mates to are trashed. Everything else is OK. Even has a new rear seal.

My E-mail is: cougar@qtm.net (that's lower case QTM.NET)

68COUGAR

Luchetti Auto, rebuilt M5R2 with brass blockers, and some better internal components according to them. This is the only tranny that has lasted in MY SC. It is about 800 bucks shipped, with a one year warranty. I too took out a gear cluster or two in my tranny's :) The first one was estimated at 2100 dollars or so, the gear clusters were some horrible 300-500 per cluster.

This is the number for Luchetti Auto. 800-324-8960 Ask for Ronnie.

Back