Possible Blower Trouble

pearl95sc

What causes back / forth play in the blower? I was noticing this sound which I had before, and had assumed it was from the bowed valve springs. Only now, it's on the other side of the engine. It may be noisy rocker arms, but not sure. In my hunting for the problem, I removed the blower belt, and turned it by hand, and noticed that when you turn the blower puller one way, and then the other, there is a lag in between. Now, the blower worked fine when taken off, and sat, covered in the garage for the last 9 months. I think the sound i'm hearing may be from the blower, but not sure. I still need to iron out the exhaust leaks by the collectors. Could an exhaust leak echo through the header/ engine compartment and make a tap like sound? The sound slows and speeds up with the rpms of the engine. Any help greatly appreciated.

P.S. Tried to fire up the car with the blower belt removed, but gas has hit critical and car is givin me crap about starting and keepin runnin.

There is a plastic coupler that wears. When you remove the front casing from the rotor casing the coupler is what connects the drive shaft thingy to the rotors.

I think embree, or magnusen makes a nice replacement to take care of the slop.

I ruled out the blower earlier today, sounds the same with it not connected. But, the play does concern me. Theres no noised coming from the blower when spinning. Oh well, who knows.

Can you try to explain the sound? taping, clicking,whizing,whiring or maybe a growling sound?
Is the jackshaft still spining?
Which side of the engine bay is it coming from? Can you tell?:confused:

Sounds like the sound from a small exhaust leak, like a click/pop kinda noise. I'm willin to bet it is the exhaust leak echoing up through the engine bay. All the rockers were 1.7 rollers from BTM and were tightened to 26ft.lbs. Didn't use any shims. They all appeared to be nice and tight. All had no play after they were tightened. All the valvesprings are new, stock valves, port work, I can't quite place this one. For the exhaust, I used what was left of my stock exhaust, and used flexpipe and chopped the cats to connect up the pipes. It was a tight fit and I know they're not seated to the collectors perfectly.

The car isn't running the smoothest, but it isn't bucking or nothing like that. Since the first time I fired it up, i've gotten no check engine lights whatsoever. I'm guessing the cam is responsible for how it's running, very noticable around 800 rpm. My only other guess would be maybe I got a sticky lifter. They all seemed fine when I took them out, and the car ran perfect before i opened up the engine, so I wouldn't think it could be. I'll know for shure when I get back under her and take a look.

I bet your exhaust is the cause of the sound. You need to look at that soon. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. Do that **** right!

I will be taking care of that soon. I have to drop the tranny back down first. That stupid bleed screw/bolt broke off when I was trying to open it up. I can get a replacement peice for about $100, So rather that toy with getting a broke bolt out with lillte to no space and visibility, I'm just gunna replace it. Soon enough, it will all be done.

Back