Thoughts on Rings

LarryH

Looking for a good moly file fit ring for my rebuild. Any thoughts? Can't seem to find a website for Sealed Power. Thanks
Larry

THE moly is a good choise the moly insert is easier on the cylinder walls.

You may already know, but some don't, so I will include this.THE RING is
not made from chomemoly.The moly is inserted in a grove in the side of
the ring.

AND TOLTAL SEAL rings are the best.Cost more, but by far the best in the long run.

RANDY

Yea, I hear that Total Seal rings are good, but I do not see a file fit version. I have a set of the gapless but have heard controversy regarding the gapless. Are you simply using the moly oem replacement from Total Seal? Thanks L

You can use those with no problem at all or if you like give them a call they will piece together a set for just about any occassion.
There are alot of war story's out there concerning gapless rings and there just that...... story's. I've used them in turbo charged engines for over 5-6 years and there have been no problems.
Most of the people complaining used them in NA engines and they did'nt follow the directions. These rings were originaly designed for forced induction engines, so there fine!;)

Heavy Oil vs. OEM rings

For good reasons I tried some Shell Rotella 15-40 oil in my '89 XR-7

What I got, was a Smokin' Engine. Apparently the OEM rings couldn't scrape the heavier oil off the cyclinder walls. I'm switching back to light weight oil this oil change.

BTW: The good reasons for trying the Shell Rotella are:

(1) It used in diesel semi's. They typically run about 22:1 compression ratio. SC's run high compression.

(2) Semi's hammer their main & rod bearings due to hi compression. SC's will do that, due to boost and/or detonation.

(3) The heavier oil would probably quiet my ticking lifter

68COUGAR

Re: Royal Purple

I've heard major good things about that line. Haven't checked out the cost yet.

68COUGAR

Well as I said...I use them so yeah I think there worth it. But I only paid $164.00 for a set. Where are you buying them from?
Maybe they've gone up I dont know.:confused:

Zero Gap Rings

Well as I said...I use them so yeah I think there worth it.

Bottom Line: YES!!!!! Any piston rings that prefent Blow By, are worth their buying.

Have you ever disconnected you PCV valve & watched oil spurt out of your dip stick tube? The oil spurts out, because the OEM compression/oil rings have a LOT of Blow By.

Control the Blow By & gain Compression.

68COUGAR

LarryH said:
Yea, I hear that Total Seal rings are good, but I do not see a file fit version. I have a set of the gapless but have heard controversy regarding the gapless. Are you simply using the moly oem replacement from Total Seal? Thanks L

They make file fits, I got some with my Diamond pistons in BTM's group buy.

Larry,

I had also heard stories about the gapless rings removing too much oil from the cylinder walls wich will cause excessive or accelerated wear.

Well I just pulled the heads last month and after about 2 years and 12,000 hard miles, the walls of the cylinders still look perfect. Not one scrap or scratch mark and the cross hatching was like new.

I use Valvoline 20W-50 in summer and 15w-40 in the winter and the oil and filter are changed every 1500-2000 miles.

David

hmmmmm...just learned that the block needs to be bored due to excessive bore taper. Guess its time for the diamond pistons and rods from BTM. With that in mind, best to let them include the file fits. thanks for all the input. larry

Back