pretty simple question

SC8990

Ok I have my car posted for sale in the classifieds and I need to find out if it is drivable as is. The car has a radiator from a 5-speed in it, transmission lines are hooked together. It is a auto obviously. Is it safe to drive? If so how long/far would you suggest? Thanks.

I wouldnt drive the car very far at all, you bypassed the cooler so the tranny will heat up in short order.

That's kind what I figured. I noticed in my shop manual that it might be possible to remove the bottom of the radiator where the tranny lines are? Has anybody tried this? If I could swap just the bottoms of the radiators that would be a cheap and safe fix.

easy solution

If it is possible to just remove the lower tank it would not gain you what you're looking for. The tank needs the radiator to remove the heat from the tranny fluid. Why not just buy a good tranny cooler from Summit or Jeg's and connect your tranny lines to that. If you live in a cold climate it will take your tranny longer to heat up but at least you won't cook it by overheating. Good luck, John

You can cut the metal lines at the front of the engine, and get a couple of feet of trans cooler line from Advanced Auto for about $1 a foot, and mount it in frot of the A/C condensor like in this picture with a couple of bolts. The cooler lines only have about 30psi tressure on them, so just clamp the hose over the metal lines.

transcooler.jpg

Here's the deal, I have the car for sale for $500. I do not want to put any more money into it since I'm selling for so cheap. I had a new radiator in it but needed a new one in my 5-speed so I swapped them. That is why I was asking if it was possible to just swap the bottoms out. It basically just needs to be good enough to show whoever buys it that it will go into OD without a chance of burning up the transmission, a easy or temporary fix is what I need.

The picture didn't show up for me. Would it be ok to drive it a few miles without the transmission lines going into the radiator, say 5 minutes or less? Thanks for your help guys.

Thats hard to say, if you baby it maybe! I'm not going to be the one to tell you it will be allright and then the tranny goes up in smoke....uh..uh....not me!
If it was me I wouldnt do it.
Youre selling the car cheap enough to be sold as is, I'd tell them it needs a rad with a tranny cooler and leave it at that.

Your right I'm just having problems finding somebody in my area that wants it. I've gotten 30+ e-mails but at least 25 of them want to drive it home so I was just checking out my options. Thanks for your help once again Mike, your always here when I need it. :)

Well put the original rad back on and sell the car then buy yourself a new rad with the money. That way you sell the car but then you get the rad for yours that it needs and you win.

There's no reason to do that. The radiator from the auto has been in the 5-speed for a week now and works perfectly, I just disconnected transmission lines and dropped it in. If I had the money to buy another radiator I would, and wouldn't be selling 35th for so cheap. Oh well if nobody can pick it up I'll just part it out, what fun....

Back