codes ,codes and more codes

tim

Codes say I need a temp sensor have a week coil no number 2 and a problem with crank sensor. I thought it either worked or it didnt. Any good sources for a new coil pack that is not a million dollars, could a bad wire cause this to say coil ? Any help is appreciated I may get this thing running right yet. Tim

Tim: What was the number of the codes you got?

You must of done something right its throwin codes now.
Before it wasn't.except the MAF.

If you list the code numbers Maybe MIKE can help you.

RANDY

Last edited:
codes codes and more codes.

Randy, The guy with the code reader wrote them down and took them with him to look into more info at work. He looked in the book he had and it said something about the air temp sensor, the crank sensor, maybe not adjusted right? And the coil on one of the cyclinders being weak. At least I feel like Iam going in the right direction. The new cam sensor did help quite a bit. When I start it up it still goes up to 2000rpms and then settles in at about 100 but still kind of rough but not as bad as is was and not as much lope. Tim

Your battery needs to have a full charge to run right if it has went down.
Do you have a EGR valve on this SC?

Last edited:
Tim we really need the code #'s to be sure. The reason is those codes are so vague there very likely to interpeted differently by different people. I mean no offence or disrespect to your friend I'm sure he's very capable. But unless he is acustom to working on SC's he's probably not going to interpet it properly. Some codes have double meanings and it depends on which car your working on as to what it means.
For instance:

Codes say I need a temp sensor There isnt a code that says that.

have a week coil no number 2Again theres not a code that says that.

and a problem with crank sensor.No code for that either.

Now I'm not saying there arent codes that pertain to these problems but there is nothing worded like that in the code list, so what you have actualy listed are someones interpitations of the codes meaning.
We need the actual #'s if were even gonna have a shot at this.

Tim,If you get the car running,pull one plug wire at a time off the coil pack.
if the motor does not change ,that plug ,or wire,or coil is bad there.check
all the plug wires like this.If the motor changes idle on evey plug .the plugs
and wires are good.

Then next with the key turned off.Check the resistance of the coil.Next mark
and pul the first two plug wires out of the coil pack one closest to the front
of the car ,and the one next to it closest to the fire wall.Then take your ohmmeter
probes and stick one probe in each spark plug wire hole.your meter should read 13.0 to 14.0 k-ohms.
this is how you heck the secondary resistance .If you don't get this reading the coil is bad.
Put the plug wires back in and do each pair of spark plug holes in the coil.Meanig you check
with the probe one in each hole 1/5 2/6 3/4 be sure to check these same spark plug hole
at the same time.If any pair of spark plug holes read low in the coil. this means the coil is bad.

You should check the primary coil resistance to it should be 8.0 to 9.0 ohms..
I can't think of a way to write that down to tell you how to do that.I f you have
a Haynes manual.It is in the electrical section on page 5-5 starting at section 7
ingnition coil-check and replacement.

Do this then we will know if the coli is OK.If it check ok then we can check the crank sensor
next to make sure its not bad next.

RANDY

Mike 38 thanks for jumping in here. Tims problems are simple I think. Its
just finding them.

He has a nice motor it just will not idle right.I don't think it vac leaks i could not
find any. I am sure its not fuel. The throttle body is set right.Its in one of the sensors.
I drove up to help tim, but after driving 350 miles one way,and driving back,it didn't
leave much time to check every thing.Its not just one problem.But sooner or later
we will get it down to one thing.It would be nice if you could walk Tim through some
things to check.

RANDY

Quote Randy:
You should check the primary coil resistance to it should be 8.0 to 9.0 ohms..

Randy I just went through a humiliating experence about that subject. The resistance is suppossed to be 0.80-0.90 ohms. Wheeeww god dont ask Randy. Crow is tuff old bird!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Mike that what my manual says.I am trying to use the same manual that tim has.Haynes
It has listed for the primary,8.0 to 9.0 ohms.Well it not the first time I have found something
in this book that wasent right.

wITH ME tellin tim what to do and both are manuals are wrong.No wonder that dam
car isnt running.Its just like the blind leading the blind.With a misspelled brail book.

RANDY:D

ok it looks like I have to get the numbers. No problem he has them writen down and I willget them tomorrow. Thanks Tim

wait a minute... the temp sensor.. i get that all the time... something about the TEMP SENSOR BEING OUT OF RANGE. CHECK CONNECTIONS.

Get all the code #'s and we'll see if we can figure it out.
Its easier for me to figure it out if I know the #'s instead of what someone says they mean, so get them and we will try.

mike I will get them tomorrow and get back,darkstar-1, that is the code temp sensor out of range. I thought the srnsor was bad but i will check the conection. Is it a good idea to clean all the conectors with contact cleaner and put a coat of lith grease on them.

Dont use lithium grease on electrical connections. Use only dielectric silicone grease on electrical connections.

i put aluminum foil in between the connections because mines unhook easily. dont know man. i think i need a new TEMP SENSOR.

even if i check the connections it still gives me the COOLANT TEMP SENSOR OUT OF RANGE. ohh well. what harm can this do to my car??? somebody let me know.

codes codes and more codes

Ok guys I have the code numbers. 15,21,23,and 24. So what do you think. Tim

OK Tim now we are getting somewhere. These are the explinations in the Ford book.

15-EEC(PCM) Read only memory (ROM) test failed.
(in KOEO mode)
EEC(PCM) Keep alive memory (KAM) test failed.
(in continuous memory)

21-ECT out of test range.
23-TP out of test range.
24-ACT (IAT) or VAT input out of test range.

See...there was nothing even close to the interpitations your friend came up with. I'm not slaming your friend by any means so I hope I havent offended him or you, but documentation on this car and its sytems is pitiful at best and I'm sure it was not his fault. The info he was looking at probably did tell him the conclusions he came to.

Codes 21,23,24 Could be bad sensors or bad wiring or bad connections at those sensors. Eliminate bad wiring and bad connections first because that is a free fix if thats the problem, of these 3 codes # 23 is the only one that would cause the car not to idle because if it is bad the comp is applying the wrong fuel and spark tables in relation to the posistion of the throttle.

Code 15 concerns me the most because it indicates that possably 1 or more of the comp's memory's are bad. But that is not for sure yet, if in fact a memory is bad you will need a new comp or you can send it to SIA electronics and have the comp checked out for a small fee in order to rule that problem out.

Mike the car is equipped with a aftermarket chip could there be a problem with it causing soe of the codes?

YES!!!!! That very well could be your problem. First of all I would clean each and every connection between that chip and your comp and then make sure eveything is connected good as you reconnect everything. Your chip is connected through the comp port isnt it?
If that fails just remove the chip and see if the car will run then.
I dont know what type of chip system you are using but there may bee a problem with that chip itself. They are very sensitive to ultraviolet light, it may have gotten exposed to sunlight and damaged it.
Sunlight will erase those chips if proper precautions are not taken.
Let me know what you find or if you have any other qeustions.:)

codes codes and more codes

Mike thanks so much for your help. I know I need to readjust the tps. Should I change the iac it is the original one. Is the 21-ect the temp. control in the intake manifold. If I take the chip off will the engine run it is fairly modified. Tim

Back