Toilet design needed to never overflow, Anyone?

Interst or ideas?

• Yes I would like a non-overflow toilet

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • No, but good idea.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • No your nuts

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Doug Franklin

Don't laugh! OK, we have been to the moon and back. We can transplant hearts and make mechanical ones. We found the Titanic. Why has no one made a non-electric toilet that never overflows?

Toilets are based on designs from the what 20's? People were small. They ate little. So the toilets worked fine I bet.

We are much bigger people. We eat too much. I personaly can plug an industrial high pressure toilet and blow water all over the floor without putting paper in. Yea I know Texans are full of...

Do you ever flood your bathroom, or carpet? Do you own a plunger? I don't think we should have these problems.

We are designing and building new radiators, K-Members, IC units, etc. Can some of you smart designers come up with a non-electrical controled toilet that mechanically is impossible to overflow? I have tried in vain to contact American Std, and others on and off over the years. All they care about is style and looks. Just like the USA auto industry in the 50s/60s.

I was thinking about a bowl that is deep and sits up higher, not a thick seat, but maybe up that high. It needs to be elongated for our larger than 1940/50s frame. The deeper bowl maybe can hold 2-3 flushes of water with a plugged hole. Maybe have an overflow hole with it's own trap that bleeds into main hole past it's trap.

On the otherhand maybe the tank could shut off water if bowl hole is plugged and filling. Whatever I just don't want any electrical device to control it.

Want this to be able to use the tanks with higher water levels.

The new pressurized low water versions still have a bowl with hole too small or trap too tight, so it can plug. Blow stuff everywhere, haha. Which reminds me that the trap area needs improvement for large hard logs that some people I have heard have to cut in two with a butter knife to get it through. This is rediculous that some folks have to live that way.

I know I'm crazy. I know it is non-SC related but time to do something somewhere. Hope this doesn't get removed.

Any ideas? Any interest? No kidding!

Oh I solved that problem years ago. LOAD DISTRIBUTION. Just like putting heavy stuff on a trailer. A little here, a little there and every thing works just fine. :D

Haha yea your right.

I practice that now older. But I know a few, and have myself, who lay bricks hard enough to build an out house. So I want to see someone solve. I will buy 4 for sure.

Well Doug maybe you can replace the trap with an Eaton M90 that is powered by an electric motor. You know...a big bowl feeding into the blower inlet and have the output blow into the sewer.....Yeah.... that should move things along.:eek: :D :cool:

My idea...

I say u should eat a little more fibre! If they are so hard u need to cut them in half there's something wrong w/ you. lol

This cutaway shows the bottle neck of the system. Looks like
some sections narrow down almost as small as some sections of a stock SC exhaust.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/toilet3.htm

If it works for the SC, it will work for the toilet.
You should start with a custom "exhaust" to reduce back pressure
and allow the expended matter to more freely exit the system.
A good exhaust shop should be able to weld together a custom setup. (If you don't mind the smell of sewer gases, then you could take out the "P" trap and make it a straight through setup).
I don't think an Eaton would work here. I'd go with a turbo, rigged to a garbage disposal unit that would finely chop up the "tough ones" as they pass by.
The idea of a "raised top" is also a good idea, allowing for more
volume. (Again it works for the SC).
With these basic mods you should be able to pass about a 1/4 mile length of material through the toilet in 14 seconds.

Also, if your "matter" is too hard, then you are not running lean enough. Fiber and juices will help out here. Also, remember, like the SC, only run high octane through your system.
(Crown Royal works for me).

This has been done before:

Don't want it to overflow, dig a deeper hole to begin with, dig another and move it over, or add more flies and beetles:

crackr29.jpg

Or, for those in the frozen north who enjoy ice fishing, when you're finished fishing, recycle the hole:

outhouse.jpg

For the Man on the Go, it needs no flushing, no digging (bag optional) :eek: :

bumperdumper_road.jpg

That's it. The bag on the hitch. I can use that on the road. Problem half solved. Now just to convince my wife. Recycled hole is great. Or I could just put out-house over ceptic tank hole.

Well was hopeing we could do this, form a company, and all get rich. Guess it just has to be pretty. jk I don't think WC companies hire engineers.

The garbage disposal idea would probably work, but I think plumbers would hate to have to service those items. That would be like cleaning out a blender that was blending crap.

-Steve

I think the smaller section in the toilet was the idea of a N/A engine designer.

"Ya know?.... if we shrink this down through here it'll be like the venturi on a carb. It'll increase the velocity of the... uh... stuff going through it. The turds will be moving so fast they can't get stuck."

I like the blower idea though. You could have a shift lever coming up one side of the bowl. You pull the lever and it starts the blower running.

OH! GREAT IDEA HERE! Put a panic button on the top of the shifter. That way if you're crankin one out and you think it's gonna be bad, hit the button. It'll kick the blower up to high speed.

If you spin the thing fast enough and eliminate the air leaks around the seat you probably wouldn't need laxitives anymore. Just keep your mouth open and wear a dust mask. Wouldn't want to be suckin in any bugs or stuff.

SCrazy said:
Courtesy Flush
Superloop said:
Doug Franklin, you had to be from Texas:eek: don't get all of us Texans embarrased by posting this crap issue:D

Makes me think of Tbird88's signature:

Ask a Texan what time it is and he'll tell you how to build a watch.

well...

Ask a Texan for a courtesy flush and he'll build you a better toilet.

LOL!

The garbage disposal idea would probably work, but I think plumbers would hate to have to service those items
Don't worry, plumbers already see stuff far worse. Remember Aunt Flo comes to town once a month....I heard horror stories.

Geesh Doug!

This is a really a s**ty thread! :D

If you had a colostomy, like me, you'd KNOW what a constricted orifice is all about! :eek: (sic)

Lee

I made the mistake of telling the wife to pick out the fixtures for the half bath. I was doing all of the work updating my half-bath to save money, she comes back with an order for $1200 for a F'ing toilet and sink, there goes the savings. Well it's a Kolher and the damn thing will flush just about anything (my 2-year old finds new stuff to put in it all the time). It actually ate my metal timex watch (kids love to see things "disappear").

You get what you pay for, so pay a little for your john and it will only flush a little.

Aaron

BTW: the back drain holes to avoid overflow is a good idea but you would have to work it out with the holes in the rim that provide the bowl washdown.

Kurt K said:
Don't worry, plumbers already see stuff far worse. Remember Aunt Flo comes to town once a month....I heard horror stories.
I actualy know of marriages ending over what was found to be stoping up the toilet.............The husband knew he was'nt using the items found to be stoping things up!:eek: TRUE STORY!

Back