ported superchargers

daivd z

this winter i will probably take my SC off to get it ported. i dont think i will have enough to get a MPII. Is the S port a good gain on a 95 car? Is there any other places that do it or another kind of port to do?

Since you already have a GenII blower, you can just get the Magnaport. That only runs $350 and is money well spent.

Thomas

I'd second what Thomas said. However, keep this in mind: If you get it magnaported (which will yield more power than the MPII) you will need to get the MP inlet plenum as well. The stock plenum isn't big enough. That piece will run you $500 with the powdercoated version like the stock piece, more for polished. That has you now at $850, close to the MPII price. And to top it off, you should go ahead a get it rebuilt for longer dependable service. Total price there is $1100 which is pretty close to the MPII price. I"m not sure what it is off the top of my head, but I was thinking it was around the $1200 mark.

I'd HIGHLY recommend the magnaport job. If you don't have the $$ for that right now, turn you attention to other areas that you can mod for less, 75mm TB, 42lb injectors, 76mm MAF, SC top, etc. Even a custom tune on a stock car will give more power. You'll see a gain if you got a stock '89-93 pulley (3% overdrive) for the supercharger. You can 5% (8% on the '95 sc) with opened exhaust. Also a double IC and fan will greatly help reduce the intake temps. There are a lot of things that you can do to get power/reduced times. It's a matter of $$ though. I know this first-hand with 3 young children to take care of. The SC takes a backseat to many things! I'm working on the small stuff now and will one day get the magnaport job on my supercharger. So until then, the little things. They will help in performance and really be there when I go big.

If you get it magnaported (which will yield more power than the MPII)

Sam,

I think you have that backwards. According to my conversations with Charles Warner, the MP II is a more efficent blower because of the new casting that is attached, the inlet was able to be located higher into the rotors than is possible with a Magnaport late model.

David

I was getting my info from the magnum powers web site. They don't come right out and say wich is more powerful. Just trying to go off the #'s they provide on the website. The site is a bit confusing as to which is better and I may have interpreted it wrong. It sure would be nice to have a side-by-side comparison with the only difference being the Gen I MPII and the Gen II MP. Maybe that is something that can be done. Not sure but it would be nice to know (especially since I paid for a late model blower because of my interpretation of the data!)

The basis of my interpretation was that the MPII *could* use the stock '94-95 inlet plenum whereas the magnaport had to use the MP inlet plenum because of the greater cross sectional area. Again, I think a side-by-side comparison would be beneficial for us as consumers.

Sam,

I agree, it's very confusing. I'll send Charles Warner an e-mail asking him to provide some input on the matter.

Like you, I speced my supercharger out for what I thought was going to provide the maximum effeciency. For that reason mine is a combination of the MP II (reworked early style) and ESM late model. I've got an MP II housing, port matched MP plenum, late model gearset with teflon coated rotors, ESM titianium input shaft, ESM nylon coupler, and ESM high speed bearings.

David

I know we've gotten off the original post, but was it more to have the "combo" supercharger? Or was it about what it costs for the MPII?

I know we've gotten off the original post, but was it more to have the "combo" supercharger? Or was it about what it costs for the MPII?

Sam,

It was much more (about double). If doing it again I would just get the standard MP II with a rebuild and viton nose cone seal.

David

I would personally get the magnum powers inlet and send both the blower and inlet to ESM BTM for porting..The inlet without blower porting gave me no gains whatsoever. Not untill I did both was there a noticable improvement:O)..Good luck

Back