*URGENT* Popping noise from wheel area??

1990_NW_SCKid

Ok, here's the deal. Recently (within the past couple months) I was parked, went to back out, and the lower ball joint on the front right control arm fell off or something and the entire wheel came off. That got fixed, then later on, (more recently), it has been making a popping noise from that area. I've taken it to the mechanic several times now, and they've replaced both ball joints (upper and lower), and still it makes a popping noise occasionally from the front right wheel area. It literally comes and goes, usually when I've been driving farther distances, not just to the store or something. Has ANYONE experienced this in their Super Coupe at all? I have absolutely no idea what's doing it, and I thought the ball joint jobs would have taken care of it. If anyone has a hint of an idea what this is, PLEASE respond. Thanks.

Kyle

Sounds like a lower control arm bushing, they will pop like that. It is very hard to see the damage until you pull the control arm off. They like to crack, but the bushing is cheap, needs pressed in.

Gary

Also check the tightness of all the subframe to body bolts ... these can get loose over time as well, and cause a noise as the subframe tries to shift around.

cheers
Ed N.

fast Ed N said:
Also check the tightness of all the subframe to body bolts ... these can get loose over time as well, and cause a noise as the subframe tries to shift around.
cheers
Ed N.
Any chances you know the socket size of the subframe bolts?

Calvin

I had the same problem and was as stumped as you are. It turned out to be an "anti-sway bar end link". The wear out just like any other front-end part.
Get a wrench on the lower bolt on each side and torque it back and forth. If I am right, the problem will be evident.

Good Luck, and please let me know if I am right.

Does it happen when you turn the wheel or driving over things? All of the above is right and I have had them. Could also check top of strut area, and spray silicon on hood hinges believe it or not, depending on the noise. If a turning thing, does it happen only when car is on floor or will it also happen when jacked up? Also if turnig noise is it only when full lock turn?

Side issue: My wife's Stang has a creek when turning I cannot find.

Have you checked anything like the front subframe, or K-Member bolts? They are the closest to exhaust anyway.

Look at the rubber very close on the arm from front of frame to the lower control arm where it connects right behind lower ball joint. Also look at the link where the sway bar attaches, it has joints on top and bottom. Get a break over bar or rod and pry to see if those little fittings are bad. Of course just check out everything on both sides with a big prybar while your underneath it. Also the area at the top of the spring.

Is there any in and out movement on the hub? There ahould be no wobble there. Did anything on the brakes get damaged in the fall? How is that wheel, is it still strait?

Wonder if strut shock got overstressed?

I don't know, you need to do some checking, or let us know what you have done.

Did you change ball joints on the other side? I always do all at the same time.

The PoP

Thats the strut rod bushing . do those , might as well do the whole front end . Poly is best . DW

Have you replaced the front anti sway bar end links yet?

They are cheap and most likely your problem.

Good Luck!

Back