serpentine belt removal / installation tips?

Digitalchaos

I have decided it necessary to remove the accessories belt for completion of a larger project I am currently engauged in on my vehicle.

Are there any special precautions or procedures for removing the accessories/SC belts? Anything special to restore the tensioner arms upon installation?

Also, I could benefit from a picture of the belt diagram as mine has decayed.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

All should come off and go on fairly easy.

With tensioners.The biggest problem I run into is getting the jackshaft to supercharger belt off and on. I have found it eaiser to take off the crank pulley to jackshaft pulley belt off then put on the jackshaft pulley to supercharger belt this way you can spin the jackshaft pulley and the supercharger pulley this helps the belt slide on easier. Then put the other two on.

The tensioners automatically go back in to place. Just use a socket to pull them back, then remove belt. When I changed the belts on mine all 3 had no slack at all, would be a good idea to have somebody help you they can be a bitch to get on by yourself.

Stocker 89, I don't know what you are trying to do there, seems like the hard way. I had all three of mine off in about 1 minute just by taking a wrench and pulling on the idler pulley bolt by each tensioner and taking the tension off. Piece of cake.

Oh yeah 35th T-bird sc it is easy and simple.

I am saying should you have a new belts that are not broke in or tight. It is eaiser to roll the belt on with the help of the pulleys.

Get the right socket

Spring tensioners are 18mm socket on my 94. Using the socket with a ratchet makes it a snap.

I also take the SC belt of last with the idler pully spinning...much easier. To remove this one, I use the ratchet to move the tensioner, then use a big screwdriver to hold it in place...remove ratchet and belt will slide off in front of tensioner...then replace ratchet to get screwdriver out and release tension.

Good luck.

When I had to remove a belt in a parking lot, with no tools on me,
the stock tire iron in the trunk worked perfectly, nice long handle for leverage.

A 18 mm socket and the longest breaker bar you have in your tool box. Take the tensioner arm to the end of its travel opposite the direction of the belt and slip them off. You can do it buy your self and get them back on in the reverse order you took them off. DO PAY ATTENTION TO HOW THEY CAME OFF, AND YOU'LL HAVE NO PROABLEMS GETTING THEM BACK ON
Hoffmann90SC

Since you have to take off the lower Rad hose to replace the accessory belt it might be a good time to flush the system and replace the coolant.

Make sure you consider using Distilled water to refill rather than tap water.

Here is a belt diagram.

Attachments

• routing.jpg
    routing.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 396
It is often called either. Though it's more specifically a Jackshaft.

SYLLABICATION: jack·shaft
PRONUNCIATION: jkshft
NOUN: A short shaft that transmits motion from a motor to a machine, especially in an automobile.

IDLER PULLEY
Pronunciation: 'Idlur 'pûlee

WordNet Dictionary
Definition: [n] a pulley on a shaft that presses against a guide belt to guide or tighten it
Synonyms: idle pulley, idle wheel

Back