Won't crank question

WRGoudy

I have a 91 SC with 58k that I bought recently, and today when I stopped at the pharmacy to get something, the thing wouldn't turn over when I came back out. I just had the battery replaced a week or so ago, as it seemed a little weak and also failed a load test.

The lights and all other electrics still work, and I can hear the solenoid on the fender clicking when I try to turn it over. Checked the solenoid output with a meter and am getting 12v+ when attempting to start (on the top large lug). The lights don't dim at all so I'm sure the starter is not taking any major current. I also monitored battery voltage when the solenoid was "clicking" in the start position, and it maintains 12v+ even then.

Tried shifting out of Park to Neutral and back in case the safety switch was hung up, but also assume the solenoid wouldn't even attempt to engage the starter if the switch was bad or not made up.

The cars sitting in the mini-mall lot right now, and I'm planning on trying the old "jump the solenoid with the plier handles" trick to determine if the solenoid or the starter are at fault.

Just thought someone on the board could confirm that there is nothing other than the starter or solenoid and associated wiring that I need to consider. I assume from all I've read here, and in the manuals, that the electronic controls and sensors really effect starting once after you've acheived cranking status.

I'm hoping to avoid crawling under the car at the lot it's in since it's raining, and if jumping the solenoid doesn't work I'll just have it towed to my shop so I can remedy this situation and get around to the other work I've been putting off (Leaking intake gaskets, plugs, wires, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated.

WRGoudy

could be

a bad [dirty,not tight] connection @ relay or starter...

could be... bad relay ....clicking noise ..Usually sign of not enough juice though

could be... dead spot on the starter ... hit it with a hammer.. if all else fails

could be,,,, something else draining your battery
[my case ...altenator] .....so check it for amps

really sounds like ...option 1 @ relay....starter or battery
....dave

Won't crank issue

Thanks MercSC.

Went down to "jump" the solednoid, but stopped at Advance and bought a new one for $7.95 that acts the same way after replacing the old one. I'm leaning towards the starter having a dead spot since I haven't had any problems previously.

Plan on whacking the starter tomorrow in daylight, and maybe even trying to turn it a little if possible (I doubt sufficient access anywhere if I remember from my previous experiences with the '89SC I had. All else fails I'll have it towed.

Thanks,
WRG

Forgot, The battery is a one week old 60month Interstate that remains fully charged, so the problem is in the rest of the starting circuit somewhere, I suppose.

WRG

I have had the heavy cable that goes to the starter be bad internaly and cause your problem.
Funny thing is the cable looked brand new really and after putting a new one on the the car started flawlessly so I knew it was bad. I then took a pocket knife and started whittling away at the insulation. Once I got to the middle of the cable I found the problem. Electrolisys had eaten the cable just about in two peices.
All that remained was a couple strands of wire and the rest had turned into a white powder.

We'll see

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I'll post the results of tomorrows investigation and hopefully repair after I figure this out. That assumes the car is still where I left it tonite.

Should be somehwere between the solenoid and the starter.

WRG

On the starter itself... pull the small spade/tab connector off. Its the smaller wire on the top of the starter.. clean the tab and the spade, and crimp the spade part together just slightly. Then try it. You might want to try this before you drop the bucks on a new starter. It might still be the starter, but this is a common problem.

Since the power solenoid is on the fender, what is the function of wire you're referring to? Obviously I'll give it a try once I'm under there but its been so long since I changed the motor in my last SC I can't remember much about the starter other than I recall the exhaust made life difficult with regards to removal. If I wasn't so lazy tonite, I'd go check my manual.

Thanks

Mine was doing the same thing a couple weeks ago...I changed the fender mounted relay/solenoid but that wasn't the problem. It was a loose connection on the spade terminal just like TBirdSCfan described.

I think this wire provides power to the solenoid on the starter which engauges the bendix and also completes the circut to send battery power to the starter motor. Or something like that.

Anyway, that loose wire on the starter will cause the problem your having. Very easy fix.

David

Turned out that after I got the car into my shop and pulled the starter, the main feed from the solenoid into the starter was loose. Since I had it off anyway and it showed signs of having been whacked with a hammer in the past, I just put a new one on. The old one bench tested OK after tightining the lug, but after all the trouble I went to I just put a new one on anyway.

Back