Nitrous Results

WRGoudy

Juat thought some might find the remains of my Nitrous experience interesting

Attachments

• conrod.jpg
    conrod.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 387
The last one is the one connecting rod peice I could find after sending NOX down the inlet using 150hp jetting.

Thomas,

I copied this from his member page.

WRGoudy,

150 hp on a stock engine....are you nutts ?? Wet or Dry system ?

David

At the time I was running 125hp jets for the Nitrous system I bought from a friend, after he wrapped his v8 tbird around a tree. I had started with the 75 hp jets, but the nitrous didn't seem to make much difference, although all the solenoids were working, etc. I kept trying bigger jets to no avail.

The outfit in Georgia that sold the system to my friend assured me it was safe to use on the SC, as I had serious reservations about that issue. The last time I called them to ask why the system didn't seem to be working, they suggested that my bottle pressure was low (kept the car outside in January with temps around 15 degrees) and that I should warm the bottle in the house to room temperature and then try it.

That worked a little to well as can be seen from the picture of the largest conrod piece I could find after the explosion (I did manage to drift one mile across the main river bridge here, passing everything in site, looking like a fireball, from a second gear tromp that lasted less than 2 seconds).

When I called the Georgia outfit back to thank them for all their good advice, they informed me I should have been using an aftermarket fuel pump as they believed I suffered lack of fuel pressure and lean detonation. I told them that's why I had asked if it was safe, any other things I should do, etc. Obviously I overamped the poor thing.

Did manage to find a '91 SC engine, complete on an engine stand at a local scrapyard, with only 19,000 documented miles for $1500. Pissed me off that I ended up spending another $700 or so for the rack assembly the broken conrods riddled and had to change the junky rebuilt ones three times befor I broke down and bought a new on from ford.

jet size

Can't remeber without looking if they were 125 or 150 hp jets, only thqat they were the largest of the three or four that came with the system.

The system used a dual fogger that I plumbed in to the intake tubing and stole fuel from the schrader used to check fuel pressure.

Probably was nuts. Had modified the exhaust previously, and the thing sounded like a sprint car and really set me back in the seat when it got with the program. My smile was just starting to form when a grenade went off under the hood and flames came out of both fender wells. When I looked in the rear view all I saw at first was a gigantic fireball. As it cleared I noticed everbody was diving for cover and giving me plenty of room as I blew past traffic in a long drift. Not the smartest thing I've ever done, but I will keep the conrod forever just for the memory.

Probably was nuts.

Yes, but that is pretty cool:D

Were is Marysville,Pa? I have some engines laying around in the Reading, Pa area.

Lets make this one nitrous ready.:)

engines laying around

Kunhga,

Marysville is just outside Harrisburg. I work all over the place, and some of the guys I work with actually live in NJ. I'm leaving this morning to work just north of Reading for the day (where another of my guys lives) at an Alcoa plant in Cressona, PA.

I might be interested in building a decent motor (still have the NOx system and a 10 and 20# bottle full of the stuff) and would be interested in discussing the engines you have laying around.

My main high performance interest is motorcycles. I have a newer CBR1100XX (a 2000 with 38,000 miles on it) and an old Yamaha XS1100 (now a 1220 kitted, built turbo bike that is truly unruly - RC Engineering built the same motor and it dynoyed @ 225hp). One of the reasons I like the SC's so much is they are the closest thing (performance and handling wise) to a four wheel version of the motorcycles that I can afford.

Sorry I'm so long winded, but have a good day. This is the first message board I've ever found where most of the posts seem fairly intelligent and not just a bunch of garbage. I guess it makes sense when you consider that most folks into SC's have to be somewhat "at home".

WRG

That is perhaps the best story I have ever read here! Most people here consider about 50HP the most one should do without any fuel system upgrades. There are a few people running nitrous here with success but in each case there has been some air/fuel documentation and dyno time to get things right.

I'm just dying laughing for you. You must have looked like Mad Max with flames coming out from under the hood and out the back. That would have been a sight to remember for life! Sucks that it turned out like that - I know it cost you some money! But hey, very few people can tell a story like that.

I really enjoyed reading this story,funny.

I don't think that I have seen a rod try to split up in the center before.

FIRE BALL GOUDY:D

RANDY

My smile was just starting to form when a grenade went off under the hood and flames came out of both fender wells. When I looked in the rear view all I saw at first was a gigantic fireball. As it cleared I noticed everbody was diving for cover and giving me plenty of room as I blew past traffic in a long drift...
For some reason this reminds me of the JATO rocket car legend! :D

Sorry that your engine got wrecked, but at least it made for a good story, and nobody got hurt.

Groudy Im selling my mildly modded 2001 Aprilia Mille for 10,000 if interested..Low miles..I believe under 4000 .. I never get to ride it

Nitrous results

Looks a lot like how my engine ended but mine took out everything under the intake manifold. Some people have good results with nitrous, I did not. I like what it can do in the hp. gain but when it takes out your engine it really takes it out. I know other people have there opinion but I dont think a stock SC bottom end is madefor Nitrous. If it has miles on it then its just a hand grenade looking to go off. My car spun around in a circle left the highway at 120+ in and out of a corn field and back across the road into the corn field on the other side. I think the 5 quarts of oil the went down in a millsecond may be the reason. :D :D Tim

Damon
I'd love to get my hands on a mille, but funds aren't available at the moment. Since I put a lot of miles on all of my bikes, I tend to stay away from Italian bikes due to the high cost of replacement parts. (Had some expensive lessons with Ducati's and my current Italian bike, a 1993 Daytona 1000 I'm thinking of selling (relatively rare but I'm hoping to wait until it's value someday starts rising).

Tim
I tend to agree with your feelings about the bottom end strength. Somewhere I have a Polaroid of the bottom of the engine I'll scan and post when I can find it. The bottom four to six inches of the block itself were totally gone after the big bang, and any piston pieces I could find were wedged in the top of the cylinders, all having broken off in line with the piston pins. It's funny though that the crank shaft could still be turned by hand and felt smooth as silk if you kept the little con rod stubs clear as you turned it.

I suspect you can get away OK with nitrous if the motor is built to take it, but assume at the least the cyclinders would need to be o-ringed and for sure fuel delivery dialed in carefully.

I may still try to build an engine for the nitrous as it really gives a nice feel when it works.

Sounds like your ride after the big bang was a lot more intense than mine, and I trust you walked away in one piece. I was running totally synthetic Amsoil at the time, and wonder if maybe it didn't burn the way petroleum based oil would. I do know that when ithe engine went the car didn't do anything squirrely as far as getting out of shape.

I blew the thing up on my birthday, which at least minimized the problems on the home front as the replacement engine suddenly became my birthday present from my lovely wife.

nitrous results

I built my new motot strong! I learned when I took the stock motor apart and saw the size of the rods and the way the crank and heads were put on. I went with 351 forged rods forged pistons o-ringed block and a coy miller crankshaft gurdle. It would now probably standd up to nitrous but I doubt I will use it. The stuff just scares me. If I was to use it I would go with a zex system. One of the guys is using it with good results. A small shot 50hp. or so would work to cool the charge going into the engine a real plus considering how hot it gets. Tim

Back